A question about resistance in the human body

In summary: Our electronics teacher passed around a multimeter and everyone measured their resistance ( a lead held in each hand, Fluke was set on infinite ).All in the class measured between 700K and 800K approx. All except me that is. I measured 1.4M ohms.Our teacher exclaimed ( Aha we have one ! ) I was then asked to take the meter home and test my dad. He also measured 1.4M ohms.Next day in class I announced my results and at that point the teacher explained it is hereditary but he offered no explanation as to why ( note, only my Dad measured the same as me. My mom and sisters all had 700K ish ohms ).
Jodo
Back in grade 10..,.( Oh my that was awhile back 😀 ) our electronics teacher passed around a multimeter and everyone measured their resistance ( a lead held in each hand, Fluke was set on infinite ).
All in the class measured between 700K and 800K approx. All except me that is. I measured 1.4M ohms.
Our teacher exclaimed ( Aha we have one ! ) I was then asked to take the meter home and test my dad. He also measured 1.4M ohms.

Next day in class I announced my results and at that point the teacher explained it is hereditary but he offered no explanation as to why ( note, only my Dad measured the same as me. My mom and sisters all had 700K ish ohms ).
Well 35 years later I still get the same reading but no one has ever given me a reason as to why.

Any thoughts?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you and your dad have unusually dry skin?

Not that I am aware of.

I have checked myself several times over the years and it remains fairly constant ( within 100K ohms )
As a side note, I have been blasted sooooo many times by 575V 3 phase power at the welding shop where I work they have now knicknamed me Fluke. ( They think I'm crazy but I have always quoted ohms law and stated after each shock...I only get half the shock as most...rofl ).

True story, one shock actually blew the the steel toe right out of my boot. We found the steel cap about 50 feet away in the machine shop. It was covered in arc marks just like my right hand which I was using to unplug a welding machine. My right arm felt like it had been run over by a steam roller haha

Thick, hard and dry skin will measure higher resistance.
Thin, soft and moist skin will measure lower resistance.

The frequency of hand washing, and the type of soap or detergent used will make a big difference. Those who work in a kitchen, or care for young children, will tend to wash their hands more often and so have more conductive skin. Those who do hard manual work with their hands will develop hard dry skin that resists blistering and so measures high resistance.

The obvious gender differences in employment must be separated from the epigenetic and genetically inherited skin characteristics.

The best way to keep boys away from water is to give them a bar of soap.

Jodo said:
As a side note, I have been blasted sooooo many times by 575V 3 phase power at the welding shop where I work they have now knicknamed me Fluke.
In a post from another thread ...
Baluncore said:
Long ago I heard reports of a couple of people who were more immune to electric shock than others, (but not to electrical burns). It was said that they had a double myelin sheath on their nerves.
Double myelin sheaths are found in nature, but I would like to know if there is any credible documentation of immunity to electric shock as a result.

Interesting. I know I do indeed get shocks but I have managed to walk away from all instances of contact with 575V. I watched an electrician in the late 80s grab 575V and he was put off work for 2 weeks medical compensation. I must now go Google myelin sheath!

Thanks so much for the replies folks

Joe

I tested between forefingers and got the 800,000.
Between cheek bones it was 3M

What is resistance in the human body?

Resistance in the human body refers to the ability of the body's immune system to fight against foreign substances, such as bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens.

What are the different types of resistance in the human body?

There are two main types of resistance in the human body: innate resistance, which is present from birth and includes physical barriers and chemical defenses, and acquired resistance, which is developed over time through exposure to pathogens and the production of antibodies.

How does resistance in the human body work?

Resistance in the human body works by recognizing and attacking foreign substances through various mechanisms, such as white blood cells, antibodies, and inflammation. These responses are coordinated by the immune system to protect the body from illness and infection.

What factors can affect resistance in the human body?

Several factors can affect resistance in the human body, including age, genetics, lifestyle choices, and underlying health conditions. A weakened immune system can also result in decreased resistance to pathogens.

How can we improve resistance in the human body?

There are several ways to improve resistance in the human body, such as maintaining a healthy diet, exercising regularly, getting enough sleep, managing stress levels, and avoiding harmful substances like tobacco and excessive alcohol consumption. Additionally, vaccinations can also help boost resistance by introducing weakened forms of pathogens to the body, allowing it to develop immunity without getting sick.