A Question About Special Relativity's Basics

• Thread starter Sleek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basics
In summary, Sleek said that SR is a part of classical mechanics, but that it's not just light that has a different speed for different observers. velocities added linearly in pre-SR times, but now in SR they don't. He also said that time dilation is not just a consequence of the length of a light path being physically altered, but a consequence of the mutability of space and time for different observers.
Sleek
Hello,

I've read and learned the fundamentals of SR and understand it to quite a nice extent. I'm talking about the time dilation's derivation using a light clock. I've understood the derivation's concepts, i.e. the proved principle of speed of light being 'c' in all frames of reference. So that part is clear.

Now let's say the light beam is replaced by a soccer ball, which also oscillates the same way except the fact that it does so once in every one second (Just to keep things practical).

Now, I wish to calculate the time dilation (though it would be extremely small). Now, I'm not sure if just like light, the balls speed would appear to be the same to the external observer. If yes, then can someone elaborate on this? In that case, what would have classical mechanics predicted?

Thanks for your time,
Sleek.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sleek said:
I've read and learned the fundamentals of SR and understand it to quite a nice extent. I'm talking about the time dilation's derivation using a light clock. I've understood the derivation's concepts, i.e. the proved principle of speed of light being 'c' in all frames of reference. So that part is clear.

Now let's say the light beam is replaced by a soccer ball,

that sounds familiar. didn't someone else (or the same, you're not Stellar1, are you?) ask this same thing about a soccer ball bouncing around in a "lightclock" instead of light?

which also oscillates the same way except the fact that it does so once in every one second (Just to keep things practical).

Now, I wish to calculate the time dilation (though it would be extremely small). Now, I'm not sure if just like light, the balls speed would appear to be the same to the external observer. If yes, then can someone elaborate on this? In that case, what would have classical mechanics predicted?

for some people SR is part of classical mechanics. for other's SR is "modern physics"; post-classical mechanics. anyway, in pre-SR times velocities added linearly. assuming a single direction of travel for all involved, if Observer A veiwed a soccer ball with a velocity of v1 (in, say the x direction) and another observer, who was also moving in the x direction with velocity v2 (relative to Obeserver A), would view that ball moving at velocity v1 - v2. but in SR they don't add (or subtract that way).

Sleek said:
Now, I wish to calculate the time dilation (though it would be extremely small). Now, I'm not sure if just like light, the balls speed would appear to be the same to the external observer.
No, the ball's speed would be different for different observers. Light is unique in that sense, and the "light clock" derivation indeed only works with "light."

Personally, I never liked the light clock derivation very much. As the other poster said, it's really a very "classical" interpretation of SR, and leads some to believe that time dilation is just a consequence of the length of a light path being physically altered. In fact, the light clock derivation is more of a consequence of the mutability of space and time for different observers, rather than the other way around.

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the speed of light is constant for all observers.

2. What are the main concepts of special relativity?

The main concepts of special relativity are time dilation, length contraction, and the principle of relativity. Time dilation refers to the slowing down of time for an object in motion relative to an observer. Length contraction is the shortening of an object's length in the direction of motion. The principle of relativity states that the laws of physics are the same for all inertial frames of reference.

3. How does special relativity differ from Newtonian mechanics?

Special relativity differs from Newtonian mechanics in that it takes into account the speed of light as a constant and includes the concept of spacetime. Newtonian mechanics assumes that time and space are absolute and that the speed of light can be added or subtracted from the velocity of objects.

4. Can special relativity be applied to everyday life?

Yes, special relativity has been confirmed by numerous experiments and is used in everyday life. It is necessary for accurate GPS calculations, and it also plays a role in the development of technologies such as particle accelerators and nuclear power.

5. Are there any potential implications of special relativity?

Special relativity has led to many significant discoveries in physics, including the famous equation E=mc^2. It has also raised questions about the nature of time, space, and the universe. Some implications of special relativity include the possibility of time travel and the concept of spacetime curvature in general relativity.