1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Question about the Domain and Range of a Function

1. Sep 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I constructed my own question to try to make sense of the following notation.

g(x) = 2√x g : X → Y. What does X and Y equal?

2. Relevant equations

For 2√x, x = or > than 0.

3. The attempt at a solution

g(x) = 2√x g : [0, ∞) → [0, ∞)

So X = Y = [0, ∞)

The reason why I am doing this is because my book shows this: g(x) = 2√x g : [1,∞) → [2,∞). Why does my book have a 1 instead of a 0 as an initial x value?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have found the LARGEST domain that that function can be defined on. X could always be defined to be a subset of that domain, in which case your job is to figure out the corresponding Y. Are you sure the book didn't tell you X=[1,∞)??

4. Sep 28, 2013 #3
    The book just shows this, "g(x) = 2√x g : [1,∞) → [2,∞)" as an example of, "g : B → C". I just used X and Y for this thread.

5. Sep 28, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The book could also have said correctly that "g(x) = 2√x g : [4,∞) → [4,∞)". That would work also, right? Nothing in the problem really fixes what X HAS to be.

6. Sep 29, 2013 #5
    Oh, I see, thank-you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted