A question concerning EVOLUTION that I don't understand

• Thread starter seasnake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evolution
In summary, I don't understand how eyesight could have arisen multiple times on different continents without any relation between each other.
seasnake
The thing I don't understand about evolution is how if at one time on Earth no creature had eyes to see with, how so many species today have eyes and eye sight. If many isn't related to several, if not most, of the pre-historic man/ape like species you would also expect that man isn't related to most of the pre-historic non-man/ape like creatures as well, and this would go for all the other species not being related to each other as well in terms of passing down changes and mistakes in DNA resulting in eyes and vision.

What puzzles me even more is the statistical likelihood of different species of creatures developing the same innovations like eyes, ears, same number limbs for mobility, and so forth. Perhaps the eye-vision system was like some sort of ancient disease, get bit by a certain type of misquito or bug, or on an ifected newt, and you and your offspring come down with a bad case of having eyes.

Biology news on Phys.org
The thinking is that eyes started out as photoreceptor cells, or even a photosensitive vacuoles (phytochromes) within single-celled organisms. These would have come in handy when trying to avoid predators, or find prey, as they blocked out light, or in moving towards sources of light (for organisms capable of photosynthesis). Specialization and refinement into what we know as eyes would have then come via evolution / selection.

The Wikipedia article may be a good starting point (especially since I'm not a biologist):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_the_eye

seasnake said:
What puzzles me even more is the statistical likelihood of different species of creatures developing the same innovations like eyes, ears, same number limbs for mobility, and so forth. Perhaps the eye-vision system was like some sort of ancient disease, get bit by a certain type of misquito or bug, or on an ifected newt, and you and your offspring come down with a bad case of having eyes.
The odds of winning the lottery are pretty bad (so bad, no one should ever do it), but if you play the lottery every day for 3 billion years, you'll actually win quite a few times!
The thing I don't understand about evolution is how if at one time on Earth no creature had eyes to see with, how so many species today have eyes and eye sight. If many isn't related to several, if not most, of the pre-historic man/ape like species you would also expect that man isn't related to most of the pre-historic non-man/ape like creatures as well, and this would go for all the other species not being related to each other as well in terms of passing down changes and mistakes in DNA resulting in eyes and vision.
I'm not sure what you mean there - having eyes and being able to see is an advantage, so most animals would keep mutations that improve their eyesight. Evolution is not, strictly speaking, a random thing, it is directed by a sort of pressure to survive and propagate.

seasnake:

Natural selection works locally, bith in a spatial and temporal sense.

THat means that at every point where some mutation outcompetes another mutation, then the theory of natural selection DEMANDS that there must have been some advantage of the winning mutation relative to the loser.

If it COULD be proven in some case, that the winning mutation in a statistically significant population actually ONLY had disadvantages relative to the losing mutation, then the theory of evolution would have been proved wrong.

1. What is the theory of evolution and how does it work?

The theory of evolution is a scientific explanation for how life on Earth has changed over time. It states that all living things share a common ancestor and have gradually evolved through the process of natural selection. This means that organisms with traits that are better suited for survival and reproduction are more likely to pass on those traits to their offspring, leading to gradual changes in a species over many generations.

2. Is evolution a fact or just a theory?

Evolution is both a fact and a theory. The fact of evolution is supported by overwhelming evidence from various fields of science, such as genetics, paleontology, and biogeography. The theory of evolution is the scientific explanation for how and why evolution occurs, based on this evidence.

3. How does the fossil record support the theory of evolution?

The fossil record provides a record of the history of life on Earth, showing the progression and diversification of species over time. It also reveals extinct species that are similar to modern species, providing evidence for common ancestry. The fossil record supports the theory of evolution by showing the gradual changes and patterns of evolution that have occurred over millions of years.

4. Are there any missing links in the theory of evolution?

The concept of "missing links" is a common misconception about evolution. The theory of evolution does not require every single transitional form between species to be found in the fossil record. However, the fossil record does provide many examples of transitional forms and continues to be expanded as new discoveries are made.

5. How does the process of natural selection work?

Natural selection is the process by which organisms with traits that are better suited for survival and reproduction are more likely to pass on those traits to their offspring. This leads to gradual changes in a species over time, as advantageous traits become more prevalent. Natural selection is driven by various factors, such as competition for resources and environmental changes, and can result in the evolution of new species.