1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question from from thermodynamics

1. Jul 19, 2012 #1
    I was doing chapter named kinetic theory of gases from a book. here's the question.

A mercury monometer consists of two unequal arms of equal cross section area 1 cm^2 and lengths 100 cm and 50 cms. The two open ends are sealed with air in the tube at a pressure of 80 cm of mercury. some amount of mercury is now induced in the monometer through the stopclock connected to it. If mercury rises in the short tube to a length 10 cm in steady state, find the length of mercury column rised in the longer tube.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    That's a good problem to do - how are you attempting it? Usually you will find clues in the chapter you just read.

In general you will learn best by attempting the problem - usually badly, but you may surprise yourself, and then we can help you where you get stuck. I know - it's a pain ;)

Some tips: I'm guessing the devices are...
    * manometer (not monometer)
    * stopcock (not stopclock)
    ... the problem is checking you understand how a manometer works ...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook