Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question from from thermodynamics

1. Jul 19, 2012 #1
    I was doing chapter named kinetic theory of gases from a book. here's the question.

A mercury monometer consists of two unequal arms of equal cross section area 1 cm^2 and lengths 100 cm and 50 cms. The two open ends are sealed with air in the tube at a pressure of 80 cm of mercury. some amount of mercury is now induced in the monometer through the stopclock connected to it. If mercury rises in the short tube to a length 10 cm in steady state, find the length of mercury column rised in the longer tube.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    That's a good problem to do - how are you attempting it? Usually you will find clues in the chapter you just read.

In general you will learn best by attempting the problem - usually badly, but you may surprise yourself, and then we can help you where you get stuck. I know - it's a pain ;)

Some tips: I'm guessing the devices are...
    * manometer (not monometer)
    * stopcock (not stopclock)
    ... the problem is checking you understand how a manometer works ...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook