Problem inspired from thermodynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem related to thermodynamics and the relationship between Q values and ΔU. The problem is stated and the person is seeking help in solving it. They also mention a conjecture and ask for advice on how to prove it. It is determined that Q3 must be negative and Q4 only needs to be smaller in magnitude. A truth table is suggested to help determine the range of ΔU.
Bipolarity

Homework Statement

While studying thermodynamics, I constructed the following problem, which I can't seem to solve.

Suppose that [itex]Q_{4} > Q_{3} [/itex] and [itex] |Q_{3}| > |Q_{4}| [/itex]. Then for what values of ΔU is it necessarily the case that [itex]|ΔU-Q_{4}| > |ΔU-Q_{3}|[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea what to do; I solved a much simpler textbook style problem and then decided to consider a more general version of the problem, which led me to this. Any ideas? I conjecture that both the Q values are negative, but is this true? How would I prove it?

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Certainly Q3 < 0, but Q4 need only be smaller in magnitude. You could draw up a truth table to see this, and similarly to deduce the range of ΔU.

FAQ: Problem inspired from thermodynamics

1. What is thermodynamics and how does it relate to problem solving?

Thermodynamics is the study of energy and its transformations, including heat and work. It is often used in problem solving to analyze and understand the behavior of systems and processes.

2. What is the first law of thermodynamics and how does it apply to problem solving?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This law is often used in problem solving to track and analyze the flow of energy within a system.

3. How does the second law of thermodynamics impact problem solving?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy (disorder) of an isolated system always increases over time. This law is important in problem solving as it helps predict the direction of natural processes and identify potential inefficiencies.

4. What is the difference between heat and work in thermodynamics?

Heat is the transfer of thermal energy between two objects due to a temperature difference, while work is the transfer of energy by a force acting through a distance. In problem solving, understanding the difference between heat and work is crucial in analyzing energy transfer and transformations within a system.

5. How do thermodynamic principles apply to real-world problems?

Thermodynamics is applicable to a wide range of real-world problems, from designing efficient engines and power plants to understanding the Earth's climate system. By using thermodynamic principles, scientists and engineers can analyze and optimize systems for maximum efficiency and effectiveness.

Back