1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question in electrostatics

1. Sep 18, 2008 #1
    Hello,

I have my first exam tomorrow in Electricity & Magnetism and I really need to know whether I solved this question correct or not, and I do not own the answer key to the book which I took the question from. Thanks in advance!

Note: English is not my mother-tongue and neither do I study physics in English. That is, I have translated the following question. Excuse me for any errors in the use of scientific terms.

-------------

A spherical conductor, whose radius is 10cm, carries a charge of +8*10^-8 C, and another spherical conductor, whose radius is 6cm, is placed inside the first one and shares with it the same centre. The inner sphere is grounded.
    1- Calculate the charge that is on the inner sphere.
    2- Calculate the potential that is on surface of the outer sphere.
    3- Calculate the potential and the strength of the electric field at 4cm distance from the centre of the two spheres.
    4- Calculate the potential and the strength of the electric field at a point distanced 20cm from the centre of the two spheres.
    5- Calculate the required work in order to transfer a charge of -5*10^-6 from the surface of the outer sphere to the surface of the inner sphere.

-------------

I have studied the required material in a really short period of time, so I am a bit confused at the moment and might ask really stupid questions, and my following attempts for solving the question may be too dumb :P

1- I there is no charge on the inner sphere because it is grounded.

2- V = k*q/r
    V = 9*10^9 * (8*10^-8)/(0.1)
    V = 7200 V

Is that correct? :S

3- I am confused about this one. If my answer to section 1 was correct, aren't the potential and the strength of the electric field supposed to be zero as well?

4- V = k*q/r
    V = 9*10^9 * (8*10^-8)/(0.2)
    V = 3600 V

E = V/r = 18000 V/m

5- W = q(V-V') = -5*10^-6 * (7200-0) = -0.036 J

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted