1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Question in Linear Tranformations

1. Sep 26, 2005 #1
    hi

I am a college student who has just started doing Linear Algebra. This is not a homework question, just something abot Linear Transformations that i dont understand. I hope someone can help me. Here it goes:

Consider Vector spaces V and W (over R^4) and a matrix 'A' which maps an element from V to W.

1. Why is it that the basis for the column space for A is exactly the basis for the range space of V in W? [i.e why is dim(col(A))=dim (range(V))]

2. Why is dim (V) = dim (Null space of V) + dim (range space of V in W)?

Thanx in advance :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The basis for V is, of course, (1, 0, 0, 0), (0, 1, 0,0), (0, 0, 1, 0), (0, 0, 0, 1). Write those as columns and multiply each by A. Do you see that multiplying A times (1, 0, 0, 0), you get exactly the first column of A? And that multiplying A time (0, 1, 0, 0) gives exactly the second column of A? Write any vector in V as a linear combination of (1, 0, 0, 0), etc. and multiplying by A gives the result, in W, as a linear combination of the columns of A.

4. Sep 27, 2005 #3
    Hahaha, Thanks. It is so obvious now that you mention it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?