A question in substitution in logic.

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that if x is the first of sub(t;a,b), then there exists 1<=i<=n and there are firsts \phi' of \phi_i and \psi' of \psi such that x=sub(\phi';a,\psi)\psi'. The definition of sub(t;a,b) is also provided, which states that if t is a list of signs a1,...,an and b is a list of expressions b1,...,bn, then the substitution sub(t;a,b) is defined as x1x2...xk, where 1<=i<=k, xi is bj if ti=aj, and xi is ti if ti is not in the list of signs
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
i need to prove that if x is the first of sub([tex]\phi[/tex];a,[tex]\psi[/tex]) then there exists 1<=i<=n and there exist firsts [tex]\phi' of \phi_i and \psi' for \psi[/tex] such that x=sub([tex]\phi';a,\psi[/tex])[tex]\psi'[/tex]

where sub(t;a,b) is defined as follows:
let a1,..,an be n signs and b1,..,bn expressions.
a=(a1,...,an)
b=(b1,..,bn)
the substitution sub(t;a,b) is defined as:
if t is t1,...,tk then sub(t;a,b)=x1x2...xk
when 1<=i<=k xi is bj if ti=aj and xi is ti when ti isn't in {a1,...,an}.

what i did is as follows:
x is the first of sub(t;a,b) then there exists y such that sub(t;a,b)=xy
and let t' be the first of t, then t=t'z and thuse we can deduce that:
sub(t;a,b)=sub(t';a,b)sub(z;a,b)=xy
but i don't know how to procceed from here.
thanks in davance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i have another question:
let a|=a' and b|=b' then prove that a'->b|=a->b' without using ~a'|=~a and metrial conditional, i.e without using ~PvQ=P->Q.

To prove this statement, we can use mathematical induction on the length of the expression t.

Base case: If t is a single sign, then the statement is trivially true.

Inductive step: Assume the statement is true for an expression t of length k. We will prove it for an expression t' of length k+1.

Let x be the first of sub(t';a,b). By the definition of sub, we know that t' is a concatenation of expressions t_1, ..., t_n, where each t_i is either a sign from a or an expression not in {a1,...,an}.

So, we can write t' as t_1t_2...t_n. Since x is the first of sub(t';a,b), we know that x is either a sign from a or an expression not in {a1,...,an}.

If x is a sign from a, then by the definition of sub, there exists 1<=i<=n such that t_1 = a_i.

Now, let t_1' be the first of t_1. Since t_1 = a_i, we know that t_1' is also a_i. Similarly, let t_2' be the first of t_2, and so on.

So, we have t_1' = a_i, t_2' = t_2, ..., t_n' = t_n.

Now, by the inductive hypothesis, we know that there exist firsts \phi' of \phi_i and \psi' for \psi such that t_2 = sub(\phi';a,\psi) and t_n = sub(\psi';a,\psi).

Therefore, we can write t' as t_1't_2'...t_n' = a_it_2'...t_n'.

So, by the definition of sub, we have sub(t';a,b) = a_i sub(t_2';a,b) sub(t_n';a,b) = x sub(\phi';a,\psi) sub(\psi';a,\psi).

Similarly, if x is an expression not in {a1,...,an}, we can use the same argument to prove that there exist firsts \phi' of \phi_i and \psi' for \psi such that t_2 = sub(\phi';a,\psi) and

1. What is substitution in logic?

Substitution in logic is a process of replacing variables or terms in a logical statement with other variables or terms, while maintaining the truth value of the statement.

2. Why is substitution important in logic?

Substitution is important in logic because it allows us to manipulate and simplify logical statements, making it easier to analyze and evaluate their truth values.

3. What is the difference between substitution and replacement in logic?

In logic, substitution and replacement are often used interchangeably. However, substitution specifically refers to replacing variables or terms in a logical statement, while replacement can also refer to replacing entire statements or propositions.

4. How do you perform substitution in logic?

To perform substitution in logic, you need to identify the variable or term you want to substitute and the variable or term you want to substitute it with. Then, you can simply replace the original variable or term with the new one in the logical statement.

5. Can substitution change the truth value of a logical statement?

No, substitution in logic does not change the truth value of a logical statement. It only changes the variables or terms used in the statement, while the logical structure and truth value remain the same.