Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question on Hilbert space theory

1. Sep 25, 2006 #1

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let's say we have a self-adjoint, densly defined closed linear operator acting on a separable Hilbert space [itex] H [/itex]

[tex] A:D_{A}\rightarrow H [/tex]

Let [itex] \lambda [/itex] be an eigenvalue of A and let

[tex] \Delta_{A}\left(\lambda\right) = \{\left(A-\lambda \hat{1}_{H}\right)f, \ f\in D_{A}\} [/tex]

How do i prove that

[tex] D_{A}\perp \Delta_{A}(\lambda) \Leftrightarrow \bar{\Delta_{A}(\lambda)} \neq H [/tex].

Daniel.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2006 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Unless you define D_A I don't think we can do the question.

4. Sep 25, 2006 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I presume D_A is the domain of A.

5. Sep 26, 2006 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The domain of A is H.

6. Sep 26, 2006 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, Hurkyl is right. By the Hellinger-Toeplitz theorem, any self-adjoint operator whose domain is all of H is bounded. So, the best that one can expect for an unbounded self-adjoint operator A is that its domain D_A is a dense subset of H, as Daniel says.

7. Sep 26, 2006 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then why did the OP say we had an operator acting on H, if H is not the domain? Must just be a convention thing, but seems odd to me.

8. Sep 26, 2006 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's not that much different from talking about meromorphic functions on C, or rational functions on an an algebraic variety, is it?

9. Sep 26, 2006 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As in they have poles? No, I think that is different, slightly, since we implicitly extend the codomain to have a point at infinity thus the functions are defined at all points of the domain. I get the impression here that there is no possible extension to an operator defined on the whole of H, though I may be mistaken in this assumption.

10. Sep 27, 2006 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

George Jones nailed it on the head. It's assumed unbounded, so by Hellinger-Toeplitz theorem

[tex] D_{A}\neq H [/tex]

but in order to be self-adjoint one must have that the closure of [itex] D_{A} [/itex] is H.

I guess the question still remains open. :uhh:

Daniel.

11. Sep 27, 2006 #10

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That can't be right.

Let A be any projection operator. So [itex]D_A = H[/itex]. Then, [itex]\Delta_A(0)[/itex] is the image of A. For most such operators, [itex]D_A[/itex] is clearly not orthogonal to [itex]\Delta_A(0)[/itex]... and yet [itex]\Delta_A(0)[/itex] is not dense in H.

Or, did you mean to only consider unbounded operators?

12. Sep 29, 2006 #11

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that operator is meant to be unbounded. Look at it this way, if it were bounded, why would one consider [itex]D_{A}[/itex] (the domain of A) dense in H but yet different from H ? It would have been simply H, as a bounded operator could be extended by continuity on all H...

Daniel.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
  13. Sep 29, 2006 #12

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But the case Hurkyl gave is a special case of what you wrote and it breaks down in the special case so why should it be true if we exclude the special case above? I think you should taken that post as a hint as to what you need to do. (Not that I know what the proof is, before you ask.) There are a lot of hypotheses on A up there, and H, so how are you attempting to use them?

14. Sep 29, 2006 #13

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps the problem that i stated is not quite correct. It would be fair to post the whole context. Here's a scanned version of page #89 of Ahiezer & Glazman's book. It's part of the 43-rd section which i'm trying to fully understand.

The thing i didn't understand is the argument he uses in the proof of theorem #2 namely that under the assumptions i stated in my first post (which appear on page 88).

He asserts that if [itex] Af=\lambda f [/itex] for an "f" both in the domain and in the range of A (closed, densly-defined self-adjoint linear operator) then

[tex] f\perp \Delta_{A}\left(\lambda\right) \Leftrightarrow \Delta_{A} \ \mbox{ is not everywhere dense in H} [/tex].

Huh? :confused:

Daniel.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  15. Sep 29, 2006 #14

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So i was basically wrong in the first post, since "f" is not arbitrary in D_{A} so i can't assert that generally D_{A} \perp \Delta_{A}\left(\lambda\right)

Daniel.

16. Sep 29, 2006 #15

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let me write [itex]D = D_A[/itex] and [itex]\Delta = \Delta_A(\lambda)[/itex] for simplicity.

Incidentally, it's easy to see that you can't have both [itex]D \perp \Delta[/itex] and [itex]\bar{\Delta} = H[/itex]: the inner product is continuous, and this implies that it's identically zero.

17. Sep 29, 2006 #16

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So lemme see why you think it's trivial. If i assume

[tex] \bar{\Delta} =H [/tex]

, then

[tex] \bar{\Delta}\supset H \supset D[/itex]

But [itex] D\perp \Delta [/itex] , so considering a sequence [itex] g_{n} [/itex] from [itex] \Delta [/itex] convergent to "g" in [itex] \bar{\Delta} [/itex], then from

[tex] \langle f,g_{n}\rangle =0 [/tex]

it follows that

[tex] \langle f,g\rangle =0 [/tex]

,using continuity of the scalar product.

So i proved that [itex]D \perp \bar{\Delta} [/itex]. Since above i assumed that [itex] D\subset \bar{\Delta} [/itex], it follows that [itex] D={0}_{H} [/itex] which is false. Ergo, the initial assumption is false.

Daniel.

18. Sep 29, 2006 #17

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let my try and elaborate a bit on Hurky's last post.

Let [itex]U[/itex] be any any dense subset of [itex]H[/itex], and let [itex]v \in H[/itex] be such that [itex]\left< v , u \right> = 0[/itex] for every [itex]u \in U[/itex]. Then, by continuity and density (insert small analysis argument), [itex]v = 0[/itex].

Now, in the first half of the proof, one has [itex]\left< f , u \right> =0[/itex] for every [itex]u \in \Delta[/itex]. Therefore, if [itex]\Delta[/itex] were dense in [itex]H[/itex], then [itex]f[/itex] would have to be zero. But this can't be, since [itex]f[/itex] is an eigenvector.

Oops, I didn't see Daniel's last post.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
  19. Sep 29, 2006 #18

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I see, and there's no reverse of that statement. So i'm supposed to get that

[tex] \bar{\Delta}\neq H \nRightarrow D\perp \Delta [/tex]

, but instead one can find a nonzero vector from D which is orthogonal to [itex] \Delta [/itex].

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?