A question on Hilbert space theory

In summary, Daniel argues that an unbounded self-adjoint operator A cannot have a dense subset in its domain, even though the closure of D_{A} is dense in H.
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Let's say we have a self-adjoint, densly defined closed linear operator acting on a separable Hilbert space [itex] H [/itex]

[tex] A:D_{A}\rightarrow H [/tex]

Let [itex] \lambda [/itex] be an eigenvalue of A and let

[tex] \Delta_{A}\left(\lambda\right) = \{\left(A-\lambda \hat{1}_{H}\right)f, \ f\in D_{A}\} [/tex]

How do i prove that

[tex] D_{A}\perp \Delta_{A}(\lambda) \Leftrightarrow \bar{\Delta_{A}(\lambda)} \neq H [/tex].

Daniel.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless you define D_A I don't think we can do the question.

I presume D_A is the domain of A.

The domain of A is H.

matt grime said:
The domain of A is H.

No, Hurkyl is right. By the Hellinger-Toeplitz theorem, any self-adjoint operator whose domain is all of H is bounded. So, the best that one can expect for an unbounded self-adjoint operator A is that its domain D_A is a dense subset of H, as Daniel says.

Then why did the OP say we had an operator acting on H, if H is not the domain? Must just be a convention thing, but seems odd to me.

It's not that much different from talking about meromorphic functions on C, or rational functions on an an algebraic variety, is it?

As in they have poles? No, I think that is different, slightly, since we implicitly extend the codomain to have a point at infinity thus the functions are defined at all points of the domain. I get the impression here that there is no possible extension to an operator defined on the whole of H, though I may be mistaken in this assumption.

matt grime said:
Then why did the OP say we had an operator acting on H, if H is not the domain? Must just be a convention thing, but seems odd to me.

George Jones nailed it on the head. It's assumed unbounded, so by Hellinger-Toeplitz theorem

[tex] D_{A}\neq H [/tex]

but in order to be self-adjoint one must have that the closure of [itex] D_{A} [/itex] is H.

I guess the question still remains open. :uhh:

Daniel.

That can't be right.

Let A be any projection operator. So [itex]D_A = H[/itex]. Then, [itex]\Delta_A(0)[/itex] is the image of A. For most such operators, [itex]D_A[/itex] is clearly not orthogonal to [itex]\Delta_A(0)[/itex]... and yet [itex]\Delta_A(0)[/itex] is not dense in H.

Or, did you mean to only consider unbounded operators?

Yes, that operator is meant to be unbounded. Look at it this way, if it were bounded, why would one consider [itex]D_{A}[/itex] (the domain of A) dense in H but yet different from H ? It would have been simply H, as a bounded operator could be extended by continuity on all H...

Daniel.

Last edited:
But the case Hurkyl gave is a special case of what you wrote and it breaks down in the special case so why should it be true if we exclude the special case above? I think you should taken that post as a hint as to what you need to do. (Not that I know what the proof is, before you ask.) There are a lot of hypotheses on A up there, and H, so how are you attempting to use them?

Perhaps the problem that i stated is not quite correct. It would be fair to post the whole context. Here's a scanned version of page #89 of Ahiezer & Glazman's book. It's part of the 43-rd section which I'm trying to fully understand.

The thing i didn't understand is the argument he uses in the proof of theorem #2 namely that under the assumptions i stated in my first post (which appear on page 88).

He asserts that if [itex] Af=\lambda f [/itex] for an "f" both in the domain and in the range of A (closed, densly-defined self-adjoint linear operator) then

[tex] f\perp \Delta_{A}\left(\lambda\right) \Leftrightarrow \Delta_{A} \ \mbox{ is not everywhere dense in H} [/tex].

Huh? :confused:

Daniel.

Last edited:
So i was basically wrong in the first post, since "f" is not arbitrary in D_{A} so i can't assert that generally D_{A} \perp \Delta_{A}\left(\lambda\right)

Daniel.

Let me write [itex]D = D_A[/itex] and [itex]\Delta = \Delta_A(\lambda)[/itex] for simplicity.

Incidentally, it's easy to see that you can't have both [itex]D \perp \Delta[/itex] and [itex]\bar{\Delta} = H[/itex]: the inner product is continuous, and this implies that it's identically zero.

So let me see why you think it's trivial. If i assume

[tex] \bar{\Delta} =H [/tex]

, then

[tex] \bar{\Delta}\supset H \supset D[/itex]

But [itex] D\perp \Delta [/itex] , so considering a sequence [itex] g_{n} [/itex] from [itex] \Delta [/itex] convergent to "g" in [itex] \bar{\Delta} [/itex], then from

[tex] \langle f,g_{n}\rangle =0 [/tex]

it follows that

[tex] \langle f,g\rangle =0 [/tex]

,using continuity of the scalar product.

So i proved that [itex]D \perp \bar{\Delta} [/itex]. Since above i assumed that [itex] D\subset \bar{\Delta} [/itex], it follows that [itex] D={0}_{H} [/itex] which is false. Ergo, the initial assumption is false.

Daniel.

Let my try and elaborate a bit on Hurky's last post.

Let [itex]U[/itex] be any any dense subset of [itex]H[/itex], and let [itex]v \in H[/itex] be such that [itex]\left< v , u \right> = 0[/itex] for every [itex]u \in U[/itex]. Then, by continuity and density (insert small analysis argument), [itex]v = 0[/itex].

Now, in the first half of the proof, one has [itex]\left< f , u \right> =0[/itex] for every [itex]u \in \Delta[/itex]. Therefore, if [itex]\Delta[/itex] were dense in [itex]H[/itex], then [itex]f[/itex] would have to be zero. But this can't be, since [itex]f[/itex] is an eigenvector.

Oops, I didn't see Daniel's last post.

Last edited:
I see, and there's no reverse of that statement. So I'm supposed to get that

[tex] \bar{\Delta}\neq H \nRightarrow D\perp \Delta [/tex]

, but instead one can find a nonzero vector from D which is orthogonal to [itex] \Delta [/itex].

Daniel.

1. What is Hilbert space theory?

Hilbert space theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and structures of infinite-dimensional vector spaces. It was developed by the mathematician David Hilbert in the late 19th and early 20th century and has since become an important tool in many fields of mathematics and physics.

2. What are the main applications of Hilbert space theory?

Hilbert space theory has a wide range of applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to study differential equations, quantum mechanics, signal processing, and many other areas. It also plays a crucial role in the development of functional analysis, a branch of mathematics that deals with infinite-dimensional vector spaces.

3. How is Hilbert space different from other vector spaces?

Unlike finite-dimensional vector spaces, which have a finite number of basis vectors, Hilbert spaces have an infinite number of basis vectors. This allows for the representation of functions and operators in a more general and powerful way. Additionally, Hilbert spaces have a special inner product structure that allows for the concept of length and angle, which is not possible in other vector spaces.

4. What is the importance of Hilbert spaces in quantum mechanics?

Hilbert spaces are essential in the mathematical formulation of quantum mechanics. In this context, they represent the state space of a quantum system, with each vector in the Hilbert space representing a possible state. The inner product structure of Hilbert spaces also allows for the calculation of probabilities and expectation values, which are crucial concepts in quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Hilbert space theory?

Yes, Hilbert space theory has many real-world applications, particularly in fields such as signal processing and image analysis. It is also used in the development of machine learning algorithms and in the study of neural networks. Additionally, Hilbert spaces are used in the analysis of time series data, which is important in fields such as economics and finance.