A Question relating to Loudness and Transmission of Sound

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Kaneki123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sound Transmission
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Kaneki123
Messages
120
Reaction score
3
Okay...I have a question and I am going to describe it using a scenario...Suppose there are two persons in two different but adjacent rooms. The wall in-between these rooms is 3 inches thick. There is absolutely no way for air to cross between the rooms. Now, one of the persons speaks and the other one listens.(Sound traveled through the wall). Suppose, we cut the wall into three 1 inch walls and place these walls in-between these persons. Even now, there is no air contact between them. Now, if one person speaks, is his voice going to be louder than in previous case?...
Any help is appreciated...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Kaneki123 said:
Okay...I have a question and I am going to describe it using a scenario...Suppose there are two persons in two different but adjacent rooms. The wall in-between these rooms is 3 inches thick. There is absolutely no way for air to cross between the rooms. Now, one of the persons speaks and the other one listens.(Sound traveled through the wall). Suppose, we cut the wall into three 1 inch walls and place these walls in-between these persons. Even now, there is no air contact between them. Now, if one person speaks, is his voice going to be louder than in previous case?...
Any help is appreciated...
What do you think and why?
 
phinds said:
What do you think and why?
Well, I was thinking that when it is a single solid wall, any loss in amplitude of wave would be due to Boudary Behaviour (reflection and transmission) at the entry point from this face of wall and exit point from the other face of wall.( If we do not take Inverse-Square Law into consideration )...So, based upon this idea, if we introduce three walls, the amplitude should be lessened three times than before...Right?
 
Kaneki123 said:
Well, I was thinking that when it is a single solid wall, any loss in amplitude of wave would be due to Boudary Behaviour (reflection and transmission) at the entry point from this face of wall and exit point from the other face of wall.( If we do not take Inverse-Square Law into consideration )...So, based upon this idea, if we introduce three walls, the amplitude should be lessened three times than before...Right?
I don't know about the magnitude of the decrease but it will definitely BE a decrease.
 
I have another question closely related to this topic. So I am going to post it in the same thread.I am going to upload a diagram along this post.It shows two scenarios. My question is simple, is the sound from the speaker going to be louder for the listener in the second case (the case with the greater surface area)?...There is no air contact between the speaker and the listener in this case as well...Any help is appreciated
 
Attachments
  • Yo.png
    Yo.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 617