A Question relating to Loudness and Transmission of Sound

In summary, the conversation discusses the impact of introducing additional walls between two persons in separate rooms on the loudness of sound transmitted between them. The speaker believes that the amplitude of the sound will decrease three times when three walls are introduced, but the magnitude of the decrease is uncertain. The conversation also introduces a related question about the impact of surface area on sound transmission between the two rooms.
Kaneki123
Okay...I have a question and I am going to describe it using a scenario...Suppose there are two persons in two different but adjacent rooms. The wall in-between these rooms is 3 inches thick. There is absolutely no way for air to cross between the rooms. Now, one of the persons speaks and the other one listens.(Sound traveled through the wall). Suppose, we cut the wall into three 1 inch walls and place these walls in-between these persons. Even now, there is no air contact between them. Now, if one person speaks, is his voice going to be louder than in previous case?...
Any help is appreciated...

Physics news on Phys.org
Kaneki123 said:
Okay...I have a question and I am going to describe it using a scenario...Suppose there are two persons in two different but adjacent rooms. The wall in-between these rooms is 3 inches thick. There is absolutely no way for air to cross between the rooms. Now, one of the persons speaks and the other one listens.(Sound traveled through the wall). Suppose, we cut the wall into three 1 inch walls and place these walls in-between these persons. Even now, there is no air contact between them. Now, if one person speaks, is his voice going to be louder than in previous case?...
Any help is appreciated...
What do you think and why?

phinds said:
What do you think and why?
Well, I was thinking that when it is a single solid wall, any loss in amplitude of wave would be due to Boudary Behaviour (reflection and transmission) at the entry point from this face of wall and exit point from the other face of wall.( If we do not take Inverse-Square Law into consideration )...So, based upon this idea, if we introduce three walls, the amplitude should be lessened three times than before...Right?

Kaneki123 said:
Well, I was thinking that when it is a single solid wall, any loss in amplitude of wave would be due to Boudary Behaviour (reflection and transmission) at the entry point from this face of wall and exit point from the other face of wall.( If we do not take Inverse-Square Law into consideration )...So, based upon this idea, if we introduce three walls, the amplitude should be lessened three times than before...Right?
I don't know about the magnitude of the decrease but it will definitely BE a decrease.

I have another question closely related to this topic. So I am going to post it in the same thread.I am going to upload a diagram along this post.It shows two scenarios. My question is simple, is the sound from the speaker going to be louder for the listener in the second case (the case with the greater surface area)?...There is no air contact between the speaker and the listener in this case as well...Any help is appreciated

Attachments

• Yo.png
    Yo.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 509

Related to A Question relating to Loudness and Transmission of Sound

1. How does loudness affect the transmission of sound?

The loudness of a sound affects how far it can travel and how well it can be heard. The louder the sound, the further it can travel and the easier it is to hear. This is because louder sounds have more energy and can overcome any obstacles in their path more easily.

2. What factors can affect the loudness of a sound?

The loudness of a sound can be affected by several factors, including the distance between the source of the sound and the listener, the size and shape of the space the sound is traveling through, and the presence of any obstacles or barriers that may absorb or reflect the sound waves.

3. How is loudness measured?

Loudness is measured in units called decibels (dB). This scale is logarithmic, meaning that a small change in decibels corresponds to a large change in loudness. For example, a sound that is 10 dB louder is perceived to be twice as loud to the human ear.

4. Can sound be transmitted in a vacuum?

No, sound cannot be transmitted in a vacuum because there are no particles for the sound waves to travel through. Sound waves need a medium, such as air, water, or a solid material, to travel through and vibrate in order to be heard.

5. How does the speed of sound affect its transmission?

The speed of sound can affect its transmission in different mediums. Generally, sound travels faster in denser materials, such as water or solids, compared to air. This means that sound can transmit further and more efficiently in these mediums, making them ideal for long-distance communication. However, the speed of sound can also be affected by other factors such as temperature and humidity.