A Question to Trouble Even the Best of You

• Thread starter adityab88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even
In summary: DAn arithmetic sequence is a sequence of numbers where the difference between consecutive terms is a constant. For example, 2, 5, 8, 11 is an arithmetic sequence with a common difference of 3. The formula to find the nth term of an arithmetic sequence is: an=a1+(n-1)d, where a1 is the first term and d is the common difference. In the conversation above, the problem was to find the smallest possible arithmetic sequence consisting of seven primes.
adityab88
Find the smallest possible arithmetic sequence consisting of seven primes.

For example, the smallest possible arithmetic sequence consisting of five primes is: 5, 11, 17, 23, 29.

By the way, by "smallest possible" I mean that the last term in the sequence must be the smallest possible of all such sequences.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such sequence.

Gib Z, you might want to think about that statement some more. It has been proven that there are arithmetic sequences of primes of any finite length.

Shhh! lol

Ill reword it then, There is no such sequence that I can be bothered to find and that has any mathematical value. To find such a sequence all one needs is some programming knowledge and to be really bored.

What can readily be established is that any member of such a sequence must have the same last digit.

So there, I have narrowed it down immensely. :smile:

Yeah, is this a computing problem or a math problem?

(Actually, it sounds more like a Google problem)

lol adityab88 you google recruit!

Gib Z said:
To find such a sequence all one needs is some programming knowledge and to be really bored.

What type of programming do we need to solve this sort of mathematical problems? C++ ?

No idea don't ask me lol.

If you want, start a thread here inquiring about this. But not C++ I know.

Gib Z said:
No idea don't ask me lol.

If you want, start a thread here inquiring about this. But not C++ I know.
Unfortunately, C++ is the only programming language I can use.

Regarding adityab88's question, here is a solution I've just gotten:
1, 11, 31, 61, 101, 151, 211, 281
And it's the smallest possible because 361 is not a prime

Rhythmer said:
Unfortunately, C++ is the only programming language I can use.Regarding adityab88's question, here is a solution I've just gotten:
1, 11, 31, 61, 101, 151, 211, 281
And it's the smallest possible because 361 is not a prime

However this is not an arithmetic sequence because consecutive terms do not differ by one single constant.

ie. 11-1=10, whereas 31-11=20, 61-31=30 etc..

d_leet said:
However this is not an arithmetic sequence because consecutive terms do not differ by one single constant.

ie. 11-1=10, whereas 31-11=20, 61-31=30 etc..
For all terms in the sequence:

[tex] X_n = X_{n-1} + ( (n-1) * 10 ) [/tex]

Starting from (n = 1), [tex] X_0 = 1 [/tex]

:uhh:
Is my solution too bad? :frown:

Rhythmer said:
For all terms in the sequence:

[tex] X_n = X_{n-1} + ( (n-1) * 10 ) [/tex]

Starting from (n = 1), [tex] X_0 = 1 [/tex]

:uhh:
Is my solution too bad? :frown:

The only thing wrong with it is that it is not an arithmetic sequence.

An arithmetic sequence has terms of the form: an=a0+n*d

Where a0 is the first term, and d is the common difference between terms.

hello ... ppl
i am quite sure you do not need programming equipment.
just your brains will suffice; i am sure of this becuase i saw this question on a maths paper, where computers were not allowedthis is all i have: the difference between the consecutive primes has to be a multiple of 30, i have shown this using some number theory. so, for example, the difference could be 60; a sequence like this (7, 67, 127, ...).

good luck and have fun!

The spacing also can't be 30:

7, 37, ..., 187 doesn't work because 187 = 11*17. But for any prime [itex]p \neq 7[/itex], we have [itex] p \equiv 2k[/itex] (mod 7) for some k, [itex]1 \leq k \leq 6[/itex]. Since 30 mod 7 = 2 that means that p+30q is divisible by 7 for some q, 1<q<=6.

That can be generalized to remove some other spacings too; I'm tired and will figure it out in the morning!

Edit: OK, I lied about figuring it out later!

You can also eliminate all other spacings, except those which are products of 7, in cases for any sequence which does not start with 7. So the sequence has to start with 7, or the spacing is a multiple of 7 (ie. 210, 420, etc.).A little bit of experimenting then yields the sequence: 7, 157, 307, 457, 607, 757, 907

Last edited:
Thats top stuff there Data.

good stuff

Data said:
The spacing also can't be 30:

7, 37, ..., 187 doesn't work because 187 = 11*17. But for any prime [itex]p \neq 7[/itex], we have [itex] p \equiv 2k[/itex] (mod 7) for some k, [itex]1 \leq k \leq 6[/itex]. Since 30 mod 7 = 2 that means that p+30q is divisible by 7 for some q, 1<q<=6.

That can be generalized to remove some other spacings too; I'm tired and will figure it out in the morning!

Edit: OK, I lied about figuring it out later!

You can also eliminate all other spacings, except those which are products of 7, in cases for any sequence which does not start with 7. So the sequence has to start with 7, or the spacing is a multiple of 7 (ie. 210, 420, etc.).

A little bit of experimenting then yields the sequence: 7, 157, 307, 457, 607, 757, 907

good stuff
how long did it take you to "experiment" and find the final sequence? cause i was looking for it, too, but my experimentation did not really work.

About five seconds :tongue:. It makes sense to start at 7; if you can find a sequence starting with 7 that has spacing smaller than 210 (and there's no smaller sequence starting with 7), then that's obviously the smallest one.

Of course, from what I've done there was no particular reason to confine myself to sequences starting with 7, so it would be fair to consider it a lucky coincidence.

What is an "arithmetical sequence"?

An arithmetic sequence is one of the form [itex](n,n+k,n+2k,n+3k,...,n+mk,...)[/itex].

Data said:
About five seconds :tongue:. It makes sense to start at 7; if you can find a sequence starting with 7 that has spacing smaller than 210 (and there's no smaller sequence starting with 7), then that's obviously the smallest one.
Ah,yes,yes,...:smile:
To me it makes sense to start with 199 and find "minimum" prime-sequence of 10 terms with spacing 210 :

[tex]
199, 409, 619, 829, 1039, 1249, 1459, 1669, 1879, 2089 [/tex].

But it took me longer time ,about 10 seconds:tongue:

DaveC426913 said:
What is an "arithmetical sequence"?

I've written a mini-introduction to arithmetic progressions https://www.physicsforums.com/blogs/edgardo-22482/arithmetic-progressions-mini-introduction-887/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
what about 31,41,51,61,71,81,91 ?

are there any non-primes in there?

but even if that is right (i doubt it is, I'm too tired to see the factors i probably should) i cheated b/c i guessed

mr200backstrok said:
what about 31,41,51,61,71,81,91 ?

are there any non-primes in there?

but even if that is right (i doubt it is, I'm too tired to see the factors i probably should) i cheated b/c i guessed

51 and 81 are both composite.

oh

haha 9*9 = 81 yep I am tired

Any idea where i could get a description of the concepts they are talking about? (I don't want to hijack the thread)

mr200backstrok said:
Any idea where i could get a description of the concepts they are talking about? (I don't want to hijack the thread)

All I used for this problem was a little bit of modular arithmetic. :smile:

Last edited:

What is "A Question to Trouble Even the Best of You" about?

"A Question to Trouble Even the Best of You" is about a thought experiment posed by philosopher Derek Parfit in his book "Reasons and Persons". The question asks individuals to consider whether they would enter a teleportation machine that would destroy their physical body and create an exact replica at the destination.

Why is this question considered to be troubling?

This question is considered to be troubling because it raises ethical and philosophical dilemmas about personal identity, consciousness, and the concept of self. It challenges individuals to consider what makes them who they are and if their consciousness would truly be transferred to the replica created by the machine.

What are some potential arguments for and against entering the teleportation machine?

Arguments for entering the teleportation machine include the potential for experiencing new and exciting opportunities at the destination, the possibility of extending one's lifespan, and the potential for immortality. Arguments against entering the machine include concerns about the destruction of one's physical body, uncertainty about the transfer of consciousness, and the loss of personal identity.

Has there been any real-life application of this thought experiment?

While there have been no known real-life applications of this exact thought experiment, the concept of teleportation and its ethical implications have been explored in various fields including science, philosophy, and popular culture. Some scientists have even conducted studies on teleportation and its potential effects on human consciousness and identity.

How does this thought experiment relate to broader philosophical discussions?

This thought experiment raises broader philosophical questions about personal identity, the nature of consciousness, and the concept of the self. It also touches on themes of mortality, ethics, and the implications of technological advancements on humanity. It is often used as a starting point for discussions about the meaning of life and the nature of reality.