1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A questions about Cancelling out brackets.

1. Jan 6, 2012 #1
    Hello all, Im new here and Im currently studying IGCSE Math. Hope you can explain something to me.

I have what you may think is a basic question.... I just wanted to query it.

Its to do with cancelling out brackets.

so
    2x-(x+3) = 2x-x-3 = x-3

I think I understand why the +3 inside the brackets changes to a -3. (its because of the minus before the brackets)

So what about the +x inside the brackets aswell? why does this not change to a -x aswell?

and therefore ending up with 2x - -x -3 and then 2x + x - 3

2x - (x+3)
    2x - -x -3
    2x + x -3 = 3x-3

I hope I have explained my way of thinking clearly? (even though I know its wrong could someone explain why its wrong)

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

It did change:

-(x+3) = -x -3

Note that both signs (of x and of 3) changed.

You are trying to change it for the second time.

4. Jan 6, 2012 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't really like rules like "if there is a - in front of the bracket, change the signs". You have to be sure to understand why it is the case.

It simply follows from distributivity:

[tex]
    \begin{eqnarray*}
    2x-(x+3)
    & = & 2x+(-1)*(x+3)\\
    & = & 2x + (-1)x + (-1)*3\\
    & = & 2x-x-3
    \end{eqnarray*}
    [/tex]

So instead of remembering a silly rule, just replace the - by (-1)* and work it out by distibutivity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook