A questions about Cancelling out brackets.

• Thread starter evosy1978
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cancelling
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about cancelling out brackets in a math problem. The participant is wondering why the +x inside the brackets does not change to a -x as well, and someone explains that it follows from distributivity. They suggest not relying on a rule but rather understanding the concept behind it.
evosy1978
Hello all, I am new here and I am currently studying IGCSE Math. Hope you can explain something to me.

I have what you may think is a basic question... I just wanted to query it.

Its to do with cancelling out brackets.

so
2x-(x+3) = 2x-x-3 = x-3

I think I understand why the +3 inside the brackets changes to a -3. (its because of the minus before the brackets)

So what about the +x inside the brackets aswell? why does this not change to a -x aswell?

and therefore ending up with 2x - -x -3 and then 2x + x - 3

2x - (x+3)
2x - -x -3
2x + x -3 = 3x-3

I hope I have explained my way of thinking clearly? (even though I know its wrong could someone explain why its wrong)

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It did change:

-(x+3) = -x -3

Note that both signs (of x and of 3) changed.

You are trying to change it for the second time.

I don't really like rules like "if there is a - in front of the bracket, change the signs". You have to be sure to understand why it is the case.

It simply follows from distributivity:

[tex]
\begin{eqnarray*}
2x-(x+3)
& = & 2x+(-1)*(x+3)\\
& = & 2x + (-1)x + (-1)*3\\
& = & 2x-x-3
\end{eqnarray*}
[/tex]

So instead of remembering a silly rule, just replace the - by (-1)* and work it out by distibutivity.

1. How do I cancel out brackets in an algebraic expression?

To cancel out brackets, you need to distribute the value outside the brackets to each term inside. For example, if you have the expression 2(x+3), you would distribute the 2 to both the x and 3, giving you 2x+6.

2. Why do we need to cancel out brackets?

Cancelling out brackets helps simplify algebraic expressions and make them easier to solve. It also allows us to easily combine like terms and solve for variables.

3. What is the order of operations when cancelling out brackets?

The order of operations for cancelling out brackets is to first distribute the value outside the brackets to each term inside, then combine like terms, and finally solve for the variable if necessary.

4. Can I cancel out brackets in any algebraic expression?

Yes, you can cancel out brackets in any algebraic expression as long as you follow the correct order of operations.

5. Are there any shortcuts for cancelling out brackets?

Yes, there are some shortcuts you can use when cancelling out brackets. For example, if you have (x+3)^2, you can use the FOIL method to expand it to x^2+6x+9 without having to distribute each term individually.