A quick question regarding undergraduate research

In summary, a student is seeking advice on what to include in a CV for a research opportunity with a professor. Some suggestions include indicating major and year of study, listing relevant classes and grades, and mentioning other relevant skills and knowledge. It is also recommended to gain experience with the STM system and to keep an updated CV for future opportunities.
VuIcan
Hi there, so my friend and I recently asked our professor to allow us to do research with her, whatever that entails. She requested that we submit a CV and a short e-mail to her.

This is my first time doing this sort of thing so I'm completely clueless in regards to what a professor might find attractive/necessary to see on a CV. I was just wondering if I perhaps I could receive some advice from people who are experienced with this sort of thing so that I don't waste this opportunity . Be it programming, MATLab, what have you.

Thanks in advance.

Some context:

• We're both first years meaning we don't have very much to put on our resume, she's fully aware of that(or so I hope).
  • I'm doing a double degree in EE and Physics
  • I know how to program in C, currently learning python and MATLab.
  • Her research primarily pertains to materials science e.g Van der Waals heterostructures, graphene, low dimensional systems and STM
Thanks again, any kind of advice is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
She wants to know what you know and what you are able to do. So think of these when you write your CV.

1. Indicate your major, and your year of study;

2. List all relevant classes that you've taken. In this case, list all of the physics, EE, math, and computer programming classes that you've taken. If you wish, you may indicate what grade you got for those classes if the grades are good or will help to make you look good.

3. Indicate any other relevant knowledge that you might have that are not reflected in the classes that you took. So if you know extra programing language, can take apart a PC and reassemble it back into a working order, etc..etc., list those.

If I were you, I would jump in with both feet and try and learn as much as you can about the STM system. So this is a very valuable opportunity to not only learn how to use a very useful device, but also to understand the technique and skills that come with using such a device. Even if all you get to do is to simply maintain the system rather than doing actual research work, I strongly recommend you take that if it is offered to you.

If the STM device can do both imaging and spectroscopy, and if it can also be fitted to be an AFM, then you will have hit the jackpot.

Zz.

Likes analogdesign
You should be able to find online a CV template as well as examples for undergraduates who don't have a lot of experience. If not, most universities have some kind of career and placement services office that can help you out with this kind of thing.

You might want to include details of your coding skills. What kinds of programs have you written in C, for example?

For jobs like this, it can also help to outline the relevant coursework that you've done that's likely to pertain to the position, and if you have some room, you can also put down courses that you'll be taking in the near future. This will help the professor to know what level of knowledge and skill you have and therefore what's reasonable to expect in terms of output.

And for what it's worth, long term, it's a good idea to keep a master CV file that's up to date. You never know when a opportunity might come up that you need to pounce on and when it does, the last thing you want to be doing is fiddling with the details of your CV (unless you're just trying to get it into the right format).

EDIT: Sorry if I'm duplicating anything said above - it looks like ZapperZ beat me to the response.

ZapperZ said:
She wants to know what you know and what you are able to do. So think of these when you write your CV.

1. Indicate your major, and your year of study;

2. List all relevant classes that you've taken. In this case, list all of the physics, EE, math, and computer programming classes that you've taken. If you wish, you may indicate what grade you got for those classes if the grades are good or will help to make you look good.

3. Indicate any other relevant knowledge that you might have that are not reflected in the classes that you took. So if you know extra programing language, can take apart a PC and reassemble it back into a working order, etc..etc., list those.

If I were you, I would jump in with both feet and try and learn as much as you can about the STM system. So this is a very valuable opportunity to not only learn how to use a very useful device, but also to understand the technique and skills that come with using such a device. Even if all you get to do is to simply maintain the system rather than doing actual research work, I strongly recommend you take that if it is offered to you.

If the STM device can do both imaging and spectroscopy, and if it can also be fitted to be an AFM, then you will have hit the jackpot.

Zz.
Thanks! This was incredibly helpful. I do think that it probably can double as an AFM as from what I've heard it's a high-grade STM. The deed is done, fingers crossed.

Choppy said:
EDIT: Sorry if I'm duplicating anything said above - it looks like ZapperZ beat me to the response.

Not at all! Your comment was certainly helpful in it's own way. Thank you very much !

Lots of great suggestions above. I know the immediate need is applying for a specific opportunity so there is likely not time to tackle new tasks to have new accomplishments to add to your CV. But writing down your existing accomplishments, skills, and experience is always a good time to assess how you can gain more accomplishments, skills, and experience to gradually strengthen your CV for future applications.

Some recommendations:
1. GPA matters, especially early in your career. Many employers are not just looking for what you have done and the skills you have, they want an indication of your work ethic and how well you do things. GPA is one of the few available quantitative metrics.
2. Programming. The question most faculty have regarding undergraduates is whether the net contributions of the undergrad will counter balance the time and effort to train them and get them up the learning curve of productivity. If you can quickly come up to speed and solve various programming problems for them without lots of hand holding, they will be much more confident that you will save more labor than you take in their research group.
3. Prior research. Students we've mentored are appealing for these positions due to prior research and building of research related skills. Science projects for ISEF-affiliated fairs, course projects, etc. helped build extensive research skills - background literature searches, scientific writing, spreadsheet skills, figure preparation, high levels of laboratory focus and care, instrumentation, etc.

1. What is undergraduate research?

Undergraduate research refers to the process of conducting research as an undergraduate student in college. It involves actively participating in academic research projects, working with mentors and professors, and contributing to the creation of new knowledge in a specific field of study.

2. Why is undergraduate research important?

Undergraduate research allows students to gain hands-on experience in their field of study, develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and enhance their understanding of the research process. It also provides opportunities for students to work closely with faculty members and potentially contribute to groundbreaking discoveries.

3. How can I get involved in undergraduate research?

There are several ways to get involved in undergraduate research, including reaching out to professors or mentors in your field of interest, joining a research program or lab at your university, and applying for research grants or scholarships. It is also helpful to network and attend research conferences or events to learn about potential opportunities.

4. What are the benefits of participating in undergraduate research?

Participating in undergraduate research can have numerous benefits, including improving your problem-solving and critical thinking skills, enhancing your resume for graduate school or job applications, and potentially leading to co-authorship on published research papers. It also allows for personal and intellectual growth and can help clarify your career goals.

5. Are there any tips for getting the most out of undergraduate research?

To get the most out of undergraduate research, it is essential to be proactive and take initiative in your work. This can include asking questions, seeking feedback from mentors, and actively participating in discussions and experiments. It is also important to manage your time effectively and be open to learning new skills and techniques.