Time to Vacuum Fill a Rigid Building

• Thread starter tullyNic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Building
In summary, a small hole with a radius of 0.5m in a 100m long rigid, vacuum building located at the North Pole would take a shorter amount of time to be filled with air compared to a building at a higher altitude due to differences in air pressure. The conversation also mentioned a curiosity about a pump causing fast moving air in a classroom, but this was not directly related to the main question.
tullyNic
Assume a rigid building(assume the building to be like a pyramid and its empty inside) to be vacuum.
If we open a hole(about r=.5m), then, how long will it take for the air to take up of the whole space apprximately?

Will, it's just curiosity because I found a little pump in a class room could result in fast moving air in the slit around the door...

Thank you..

If the condition is not specific enough, please tell me..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I won't be able to answer you directly. However you did leave out some important details. First, how big is the building? Second, where is it (on Earth - at what altitude?)?

... well... we can just assume it to be a orthoprism with length of 100m .
and emmm at north pole.

BTW, can you tell me why the altitude matters in this case ?
Thank you.~

BTW, can you tell me why the altitude matters in this case ?

Air pressure is a function of altitiude, so at higher altitudes the vacuum filling would take longer.

1. How long does it take to vacuum fill a rigid building?

The time it takes to vacuum fill a rigid building can vary depending on the size and complexity of the building. However, on average, it can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

2. What is the purpose of vacuum filling a rigid building?

Vacuum filling a rigid building is done to remove air and moisture from the building's insulation and create a vacuum seal. This helps to increase the building's energy efficiency and reduce the risk of mold and mildew growth.

3. What materials are required for vacuum filling a rigid building?

The materials needed for vacuum filling a rigid building include a vacuum pump, hoses, valves, and insulation materials such as foam or cellulose. Specialized equipment may also be required for larger or more complex buildings.

4. Is vacuum filling a rigid building a safe process?

Yes, vacuum filling a rigid building is a safe process when done by trained professionals. However, it is important to follow proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and ensuring proper ventilation during the process.

5. Can any type of building be vacuum filled?

No, vacuum filling is typically only done on rigid buildings that have airtight walls and roofs. This includes structures such as warehouses, factories, and some residential buildings. Other types of buildings may not be suitable for vacuum filling or may require different methods.