A river flows with a velocity of 3 m/s east

I was trying to help someone else with a physics problem. In summary, to find the distance the boat will move downstream, we can use kinematics formulas to calculate the time it takes to cross the river at 10m/s and then use that time to determine how far the boat will move downstream at a velocity of 3 m/s east.
AimlessWander
A river flows with a velocity of 3 m/s east. The river is 300 m wide. A boat is moving 10 m/s due north. If the river flow is not corrected for, how far will the boat have moved downstream by the time is reaches the far shore?

Physics news on Phys.org
AimlessWander said:
A river flows with a velocity of 3 m/s east. The river is 300 m wide. A boat is moving 10 m/s due north. If the river flow is not corrected for, how far will the boat have moved downstream by the time is reaches the far shore?

You want to go to homework help for this kind of thing. I'll go ahead and give you a pointer since it's 3am and I doubt anyone else is awake:

Just look at your kinematics formulas.
1) Find the time it takes to cross the river at 10m/s, ignoring cross movement.
2) Then use that time value to see how far the boat will move downstream if it's going 3m/s.

Thank you :) Sorry, I just realized I posted in the wrong place.

What is the meaning of "a river flows with a velocity of 3 m/s east"?

The statement means that the river is moving at a speed of 3 meters per second in an eastward direction.

How is the velocity of a river measured?

The velocity of a river can be measured by tracking the displacement of a known object over a certain amount of time, or by using specialized equipment such as a current meter or Doppler flow meter.

What factors affect the velocity of a river?

The velocity of a river can be influenced by factors such as the slope of the river bed, the volume of water flowing, and the shape and size of the river channel.

Can the velocity of a river change over time?

Yes, the velocity of a river can change over time due to natural processes such as erosion and sedimentation, as well as human activities such as damming and channelization.

Why is it important to measure the velocity of a river?

Measuring the velocity of a river can provide important information for various purposes such as flood forecasting, water resource management, and ecological studies.