A river flows with a velocity of 3 m/s east

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter AimlessWander
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    River Velocity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
AimlessWander
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
A river flows with a velocity of 3 m/s east. The river is 300 m wide. A boat is moving 10 m/s due north. If the river flow is not corrected for, how far will the boat have moved downstream by the time is reaches the far shore?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
AimlessWander said:
A river flows with a velocity of 3 m/s east. The river is 300 m wide. A boat is moving 10 m/s due north. If the river flow is not corrected for, how far will the boat have moved downstream by the time is reaches the far shore?

You want to go to homework help for this kind of thing. I'll go ahead and give you a pointer since it's 3am and I doubt anyone else is awake:

Just look at your kinematics formulas.
1) Find the time it takes to cross the river at 10m/s, ignoring cross movement.
2) Then use that time value to see how far the boat will move downstream if it's going 3m/s.
 
Thank you :) Sorry, I just realized I posted in the wrong place.