A rod which flixed in only 1 direction.

In summary, this thread seems to be about an ill-defined concept that has little practical application.
dE_logics
Is there any sort of rod/mechanical component which only flexes in 1 or a few direction?

Or do we have any such sort of bar which is fordable only in one direction?...if you apply force in other directions it will be rigid.

Physics news on Phys.org
dE_logics said:
Is there any sort of rod/mechanical component which only flexes in 1 or a few direction?

Or do we have any such sort of bar which is fordable only in one direction?...if you apply force in other directions it will be rigid.
We can of course postulate such an object, for example, the term "rod" in mechanics means a one-dimensional object or a line-element (usually a rigid line-element). Obviously, such an object doesn't exist in reality and in fact there are no absolutely rigid objects in reality. So the notion of an object being absolutely rigid in one or two directions may be used as an approximation, but such an object doesn't exist in reality.

I-beams are made to be much more rigid in one axis than the other.

A bicycle chain is approximately perfectly compliant in one axis and approximately perfectly rigid in two other axes.

I'm not talking about rigidity, this is a mechanical component, i.e we can assume prefect rigidity.

No I beam will not be it.

Yeah, I was wondering about chains, but is there anything which is solely made to flex in one direction and in the other its actually made to withstand large amounts of force.

Cause in chains this is comes as an obvious result...though its not actually desired.

None has been made yet?

Can you give some context to your question? (Like the application or need.) A hinge satisfies these requirements, but it's hard to tell what you're looking for.

No not a hinge, its strictly a rod/bar.

Imagine a rope which's stiff in one direction but soft in the other, such that it can be folded (and made portable) if rolled in one direction while in the other it can serve as a sort of stiff rod.

Should should have a major advantage as a construction beam...and various other applications which are concepts actually.

I'm thinking about some kind of protective gear I saw once for snowboarders, I believe it was for your back. It could bend forward easily, but not backward. Basically it was just a few 'plates' locking into each other such that they locked when you bend backward, and they released when you bend forward.

humm...yep that will be it.

Irony is no one knows the potential of such an arrangement.

dE_logics said:
No not a hinge, its strictly a rod/bar.

Imagine a rope which's stiff in one direction but soft in the other, such that it can be folded (and made portable) if rolled in one direction while in the other it can serve as a sort of stiff rod.

Should should have a major advantage as a construction beam...and various other applications which are concepts actually.
I-beams are used for a reason - they have a high strength to weight ratio. To understand why, you'll need to familiarize yourself with the concept of moment of inertia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_of_inertia

In addition, a beam needs at least some strength in its other axes to prevent buckling.

What you are suggesting would be significantly inferior to an I-beam for structural purposes.
Irony is no one knows the potential of such an arrangement.
Including you!

I'm not seeing much a point to this thread, just a vague, ill-posed question that doesn't seem to have a purpose behind it. Are you going somewhere with it, or is this all there is?

Well...I made one, it can be worked out as a very good construction material and make things 'foldable' such that when undone it give a specific shape, thus can take shape of predefined objects...the same thing which people are trying to achieve using nano tech.

I beam has to do purely with statics...this is something very different, initially, we're not talking stress here.

1. How does a rod that only flexes in one direction work?

A rod that only flexes in one direction is typically made of a material that has a high degree of flexibility in one direction but is rigid in the other directions. This allows it to bend or flex in one direction while remaining stable and strong in the other directions.

2. What are some common applications of a rod that only flexes in one direction?

A rod that only flexes in one direction can be used in various applications such as in robotics, where it can act as a joint or hinge, or in structures such as bridges or buildings to provide stability and support.

3. How is a rod that only flexes in one direction different from a regular rod?

A regular rod is typically made of a material that has the same degree of flexibility in all directions. In contrast, a rod that only flexes in one direction is designed to have varying degrees of flexibility depending on the direction of the force applied.

4. Can a rod that only flexes in one direction break or fail?

Yes, a rod that only flexes in one direction can still break or fail if it is subjected to excessive force or if it is made of a weak material. However, it is generally more durable and resistant to bending or breaking compared to a regular rod.

5. How can a rod that only flexes in one direction be useful in scientific research?

A rod that only flexes in one direction can be useful in scientific research as it allows for precise control and measurement of forces in a specific direction. This can be helpful in experiments that involve studying the effects of different forces on a particular object or material.