A rope in tension between Earth and Moon

1. I attatch a rope of a constant density to the Moon and fasten it down to the surface. I set the other end in space right above Earth's atmosphere. The angular speed of the entire rope is brought up to the same angular speed as the Moon at time=0.

http://i.imgur.com/kHlVvnM.png

What would happen to the rope? Would it stay pointing radially between moon and COM of earth? Why or why not?

My gut says that there would be some force that would cause the rope to not point radially from some gravitational dragging effect but I would love some insight.

Assumptions:

no interaction from atmosphere (ideal vacuum)
    mass of the rope does not effect the rotation of either planet
    moon does not precess
    moon in circular orbit(would it matter?)

2. jcsd
  3. Tension in the rope would add a small attractive force between the Earth and the moon. There's some minimum tension, because one end of the rope falls toward the Earth, and one end of the rope falls toward the moon. Since the Earth pulls harder, the end of the rope on the moon will get pulled off the surface by the rope's tension, unless it were attached to the moon somehow.

Are you interested in frame-dragging effects? Or just Newtonian gravity?

4. Wouldn't the rope tear? I mean earths gravitational pull is stronger are we assuming the rope is strong enough to withstand the tension? Also is it attached to the surface or just touching?

5. I said in the problem statement that I fastened 1 end of the rope to the moons surface.

I was curious what would happen to the rope. I wanted to assume that the rope had mass to feel the effect of gravity, but that the tension in the rope would not signifacantly alter the orbital trajectory of the idealized moon(no precession and circular orbit).

Would the rope always point toward the COM of Earth or is there some force that would deflect it?

6. It is attached to the surface of the moon and the rope has infinite tensile strength.

7. Not sure how strong it would be but depending on the mass of the rope centrifugal force would just push it back to the moon. If the gravity of the earth was less then the centrifugal then the rope would go back to the moon I believe, However if was more massive the gravitational force would overcome the centrifugal force correct?

8. Yes, But... The gravitational force on the rope would always be greater than the centrifugal force on the rope. If this were not the case, the the moon would be pulled away from the Earth by its large orbital velocity.

9. There is evidence that suggest that the moon is pulling away from out orbit though.
    http://lro.gsfc.nasa.gov/moonfacts.html CTRL-F search for drift or 1.5

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  10. I am making the assumption of a circular lunar orbit of constant radius over time.

11. The answer is very simple. Under the idealized conditions as described by the problem the rope would just stay there under incredible tension. You might find googling "space elevator" worthwhile.

12. This is different then a space elevator because it is under gravity by both the moon and earth. A space elevator uses the centrifugal force to overcome gravity pressing down on it, meaning the problem he is stating can only be achieved using the two celestial bodies in question however a space elevator can be attained with only one body.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  13. Even so with the current velocity of the moon and the gravity of earth It would head back to the moon due to centrifugal force, but are you assuming that there are the right conditions for the rope to overcome the centrifugal force and not drift due to centrifugal force?

14. Since I have only taken classical mechanics, that is the answer that I arrived at. Are you certain that there is no effect from General Relativity that would cause the rope to deflect?

15. There is frame drag due to the rotation of the Earth. Too small to worry about.

16. You're forgetting about Earth's gravity

17. The total centrifugal force on the rope is waaaaay weaker than the force from Earth's gravitational field.

18. Too small to worry about? But that is the whole point of my question. If there is an effect, however small, then the rope would not point radially.

So I guess the answer to my question is...

No, the rope would not point toward the COM of the Earth. Because there would be a small force(very small) from frame dragging, which would cause a non-radial force on the end of the rope. This force would cause a small deflection which would cause the rope to point somewhere other than the COM of Earth.

Is that correct?

19. We would have to observer the rope, earths current gravity the moon is escaping, however would the rope escape the same way the moon is or since it is closer would it stay? It might stay but if that was true wouldn't the moon be staying as well. since the speed and distance is proportional to the speed and distance at both ends of the rope, would the stronger gravity at the end not attached to the moon be enough to keep it in orbit or would the tip come towards the moon like the moon is, that depends on the length of the rope I guess we assume that the length is long enough for gravity to overcome the centrifugal force.

20. Also there is the fact that there is a small push on the rope from the sun, the rope would act as a small solar sail.

21. Yes, I think so.

If that's the point of the question than you should've asked it at the relativity forum

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted