1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A simple electric field question

1. Aug 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7662/screenshot20100804at214.png [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    the coulomb law for electrostatic force.

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is supposedly a very straightforward question but I can't get any of the four answers so I just wonder if anyone is kind enough to check my working for me.

Basically I just found the net force acting on the electron and got something like [tex]\frac{e^{2}}{32\pi \epsilon_{0} x^{2}}[/tex]. Then I just use the work done = force x distance formula but I did not arrive at any of the answer.

Am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2010 #2
    The net force varies as the electron approaches the protons. since it's distance from the protons changes as does the angle they're in.

4. Aug 4, 2010 #3
    OH!! Right I somehow forgot about that. Thanks.

5. Aug 4, 2010 #4
    Now I'm not sure I would calculate it like that, since it'd probably involve integrating along the whole length of the electron's path (to calculate the area in the F-s diagram to get the work done). A much easier way to do this is consider the changes is potential energy, which we know is transferred into kinetic energy.
    The potential energy from a charge Q at distance r is -(1/4e0*pi)*Q/r. When you have more than one charge, this energy is added together. So first r = 5x, then r=3x. the difference*e(charge) gives the work done on the electron.

6. Aug 4, 2010 #5
    yes I did that, thanks for the help anyway :D

7. Aug 30, 2010 #6
    The difference of potential energies at final and initial position gives the answer

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook