Can Vacuum Fluctuations Lead to Electron-Positron Annihilation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of vacuum fluctuations and their role in quantum field theory. It is stated that vacuum fluctuations are not actual fluctuations in time, but rather a formal property of the quantum formalism. The idea that these fluctuations cause observable consequences is also questioned. The conversation also addresses the possibility of an electron-positron pair being created through a vacuum disturbance and the annihilation of the positron with the "original" electron. It is explained that, in quantum mechanics, particles are indistinguishable, so there is nothing strange about observing one electron at one moment and then another electron at a later moment.
asimov42
Hi everyone,

I had a related, more complicated post in another thread - I hope it's ok to post a simplified and slightly different question here (posting as a layman):

Let's say I have an electron traveling alone in the vacuum, when a vacuum disturbance (fluctuation) occurs nearby. If the disturbance has the correct form, say, an electron-position pair, could the positron annihilate with the original electron? (leaving the remaining electron) The positron would have to have negative mass to ensure conservation of mass/energy.

So, the overall question, could something like the above occur? I've been careful to specifically stay away from the term virtual particle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I think there are a number of concepts I'm getting confused. Thanks all!

Physics news on Phys.org
asimov42 said:
Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I think there are a number of concepts I'm getting confused. Thanks all!

And you will continue to be confused in applying classical pictures to QFT. It can't be done. Don't try. As I mentioned in another thread virtual particles do not actually exist nor is a particle traveling along in a vacuum a valid picture in QFT. Vacuum fluctuations are in the same category.

If you want to understand QFT there is no choice but the long slog of studying a proper textbook:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MN96BHW/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Just to elaborate a bit further since many sources will tell you vacuum fluctuations exist and are responsible for things like spontaneous emission and the Casmir effect. Such is not strictly true because they can be explained without that concept. Its simply a name given to certain things in the math, but some people take it too literally and that leads to all sorts of problems.

For example see the following:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/0503158v1.pdf

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
I have been looking for some more detail on this point because in the popular press, and even some professional literature, this idea of the reality of quantum fluctuations of the vacuum is very pervasive leading to queries like the OP posed. Yet if you study QFT you find its not like that at all.

The best I could come up with is an article by Professor Neumaier who is a very well respected science advisor on this forum:
http://arnold-neumaier.at/physfaq/topics/vacfluc

As he explains it is simply a formal property of a quantum system:
'But the vacuum fluctuations frequently associated with vacuum polarization are not fluctuations in time, of virtual particles popping in and out of existence from the vacuum (as popular sources on the internet assert), but formal properties of the quantum formalism. And ''observable consequences'' does not imply a cause and effect relationship -- Vacuum fluctuations cause nothing, hence have no effect. It is their presence in the equations that has some observable consequences.'

As I said in another thread anything you have read about QFT outside a QFT textbook is likely wrong - quantum fluctuations is simply another example.

Thanks
Bill

Likes Mentz114
asimov42 said:
Let's say I have an electron traveling alone in the vacuum, when a vacuum disturbance (fluctuation) occurs nearby. If the disturbance has the correct form, say, an electron-positron pair, could the positron annihilate with the original electron? (leaving the remaining electron)...could something like the above occur?
You are confusing yourself by thinking in terms of the "original" electron. The particles are indistinguishable, so you are describing a situation in which we look at the system and find one electron, then look at it a moment later and find one electron. There's nothing strange or surprising about that; it happens all the time.

Likes bhobba
This thread was temporarily closed for moderation and is now reopened. @asimov42, if you want more clarification or have further questions... Ask away!

1. What are vacuum fluctuations?

Vacuum fluctuations refer to the constant and spontaneous creation and annihilation of particles in the vacuum of space, according to the principles of quantum mechanics.

2. How do vacuum fluctuations occur?

According to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, there is always a certain amount of energy present in a vacuum. This allows for the spontaneous creation of particle-antiparticle pairs, which quickly annihilate each other and return to the vacuum state.

3. Can vacuum fluctuations be observed?

While vacuum fluctuations cannot be directly observed, their effects can be seen in various phenomena such as the Casimir effect and the Lamb shift. These effects provide evidence for the existence of vacuum fluctuations.

4. How do vacuum fluctuations affect the universe?

Vacuum fluctuations play a significant role in the behavior of the universe, influencing processes such as particle interactions and the expansion of the universe. They also contribute to the overall energy density of the universe.

5. Are vacuum fluctuations important in everyday life?

While vacuum fluctuations may seem abstract and theoretical, they have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and nanotechnology. However, their effects are usually only significant at a very small scale and are not noticeable in everyday life.