1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A single moving charge constituite a current

1. Feb 8, 2007 #1
    Can you tell whether a single moving charge constituite a current?Not necessarily steady current.I will be happy I we get a non-steady current.To have a non-zero current we need dq/dt not equal to zero.So at point in space,we measure dq/dt and it is 0 at time t,q at time t' and 0 again at time t".So at that point the current is q/(t"-t).Please justify...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2007 #2
    Well, think about it. Let's say we have a line of charge, and start running parallel to it with a velocity v. Then suddenly it's a current with a distribution equal to the charge distribution times v. Why shouldn't this apply to a point charge?

4. Feb 8, 2007 #3
    ofcourse,now I can understand this.Thank you

5. Feb 8, 2007 #4
    A single point charge moving does indeed constitute a current at that point in space. When we speak of a current in a wire, what we mean is the aggregate effect of every moving charge in that wire. What appears to us as a steady current is in fact the overlapping fields of an enormous number of charges passing us rapidly and giving the effect of a moving charge equally at every point in space.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?