Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Spectrum

1. Apr 23, 2005 #1
    Where can I find the different energy levels (in eV) for Li (2+). I can't seem to find it in my textbook or on the internet.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2005 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Apr 25, 2005 #3
    You could try quantum mechanic solutions ... not for the faint hearted though...
    If you know the number of electrons in Li you have to begin filling shells using the quantum numbers n,l and Ml .. which each have restrictions in their values. You keep filling the electrons in the shells (dont forget spins!) until you are left with an unfilled shell. Excitation energy levels occur when the last electron is placed in the higher energy levels and not the next available level.
    Have fun

5. Apr 25, 2005 #4
    that's way too much work considering that the levels are well tabulated.

6. Apr 25, 2005 #5

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Li2+ is just a hydrogen-like ion, I believe, so its energy levels are given simply by:

[tex]E=13.6\frac{Z^2}{n^2}\ eV=\frac{122.4}{n^2}\ eV[/tex]

This isn't exact because it neglects fine structure and hyperfine structure, but for most purposes, the above should suffice.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?