Calculating Muzzle Velocity of a Spring-Loaded Toy Gun

In summary, when the toy gun is compressed and released, the ball reaches a maximum height. There is no air resistance, and the ball never touches the inside of the gun. The ball's muzzle velocity is found by multiplying its kinetic energy by its velocity at the spring's equilibrium position.
MissKaylaPaige

Homework Statement

A spring-loaded toy gun is used to shoot a ball of mass m=1.5 kg straight up in the air. The spring has spring constant k=6.7N/m. If the spring is compressed a distance of 25.0 centimeters from its equilibrium position y=0 and then released, the ball reaches a maximum height (measured from the equilibrium position of the spring). There is no air resistance, and the ball never touches the inside of the gun. Assume that all movement occurs in a straight line up and down along the y axis.

Find the muzzle velocity of the ball (i.e., the velocity of the ball at the spring's equilibrium position ).

Homework Equations

1/2mv^2

mgy

U_i=K_f

The Attempt at a Solution

I came up that the final Kinetic energy was 208805 and that equaled 1/2mv^2 and attempted to solve for v and it was wrong. I'm having an error when trying to caulculate the final kinetic energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] F_s = kx[/tex]
[tex] E_s = 1/2 k x^2[/tex]

You'll need to use at least one of those two formulas as well, and realize that mechanical energy (sum of potential and kinetic) is conserved throughout.

Equations have = signs!

What does U_i=K_f mean?

What is the energy stored in a compressed spring (a.k.a SPE)?

it does have an equal sign.

Sorry for not being clear. "U_i=K_f" does have an = sign. "1/2mv^2" and "mgy" do not.

What does U_i=K_f mean?

What is the energy stored in a compressed spring (a.k.a SPE)?

Also, why do you want to use [tex] U_g = mgh[/tex]? At what position of the ball are you interested in its speed?

Last edited:
the spring energy is converted to kinetic energy.. and we are assuming there is no loss of energy due to minimal air resistance; therefore, set the kinetic energy= spring energy.
Note-- change 25cm to meters.

What is the formula for calculating muzzle velocity of a spring-loaded toy gun?

The formula for calculating muzzle velocity is: Muzzle Velocity = √[(k∗x²)/(m∗(1−h/L))], where k is the spring constant, x is the compression distance of the spring, m is the mass of the projectile, h is the height of the gun from the ground, and L is the length of the barrel.

How do I measure the spring constant of my toy gun?

You can measure the spring constant by using a force meter to measure the force required to compress the spring by a certain distance. Repeat the measurement for different distances and use the average value to calculate the spring constant.

Can I use this formula for any type of spring-loaded toy gun?

Yes, this formula can be used for any spring-loaded toy gun as long as you have the necessary information such as the spring constant, compression distance, mass of the projectile, and the height and length of the gun.

Is there a way to improve the accuracy of the calculated muzzle velocity?

Yes, there are a few ways to improve the accuracy of the calculated muzzle velocity. First, make sure to take multiple measurements and use the average value for more precise results. Second, use a more accurate force meter to measure the spring constant. Third, minimize any external factors such as wind or friction by conducting the experiment in a controlled environment.

What are the limitations of using this formula for calculating muzzle velocity?

This formula assumes that the spring is ideal and that there is no energy lost due to friction or other factors. In reality, there will always be some loss of energy, so the calculated muzzle velocity may be slightly lower than the actual value. Additionally, this formula does not take into account the aerodynamics of the projectile, which can also affect the muzzle velocity.