Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: A system of distinct representatives

1. Jun 16, 2006 #1
    Hello,

I've been struggling with this exercise:

Let [itex]X[/itex] be set with [itex]n^2+n+1[/itex] elements and let [itex]S[/itex] be system of [itex](n+1)[/itex]-sized subsets of [itex]X[/itex] such that every two sets in [itex]S[/itex] have at most one common element and [itex]|S| = n^2 + n + 1[/itex]. Prove that S has a system of distinct representatives.

Of course this is an exercise for use of Hall's theorem (aka Marriage theorem). I tried it by induction of index set ([itex]J[/itex] in Hall's theorem) and somehow directly as well, but I still can't prove it.

Thank you for any advices.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2006 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is an exercise in Hall's Theorem? You didn't actually ask a question, or state a problem. Is the problem to show that such an S with those properties exists? Doesn't exist?

4. Jun 16, 2006 #3
    I'm sorry, my initial post already edited.

5. Jun 19, 2006 #4

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just some hints to get you going-

Given an element of X, how many sets in S must it appear in? Consider the largest collection you can have in S with a non-empty intersection to get an upper bound. Once you have this, do some counting.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook