Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Theorem About Differenciation

1. Jun 3, 2012 #1
    The above is not a spelling mistake as I am referring to differenciation rather than differentiation. As to the best of my knowledge, no one else has used the same term nor developed a similar method; and so I claim it as my own till challenged.
    Using differenciation, one can verify the expression of any finite polynomial.

I put a lot of work in trying to write up an explanation for my method...so it's best seen in the word document attached. But I still don't think it's perfect.
    Please post your views and understanding of this. I would like any feedback.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2012 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't figure out what this sentence is supposed to mean.

I haven't tried downloading your zip file. I'm guessing you're reproducing the theory of difference equations, or possibly have rediscovered some form of Newton series.

4. Jun 3, 2012 #3
    Yes; it is the Newton series....but in a primitive form. Thanks for telling me. I didn't know how to search for it or identify it.

That sentence means that you can use the Newton series method to check the formula for any function; assuming it is a finite polynomial and has rational inputs and outputs.
    For example, the sum of natural numbers. If one didn't know any theory behind the derivation; this method could yield n^2 /2 +n/2 by calculation with minimum logic involved.
    So simple that a computer could derive the formula.

Thanks again for identifying it! I was hoping I was the first...but I guess Newton bet me! :)

5. Jun 5, 2012 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've looked at the article, I'll say it's much better written than I expected from a *.doc file posted on the internet!

There's no better way to understand (and to eventually further) a subject than to derive it for yourself, so hopefully you'll continue your study / research, and a lead on existing knowledge will surely help. Sometimes just having good notation makes all the difference!

If nothing else, I think differences are fun -- and the fact of analogies with differentials is interesting -- although I've only spent a little bit of time with them. And they certainly can be very useful in discrete math.

6. Jun 7, 2012 #5
    Thanks! I actually used the latest Word 2007 to design the document, and then converted it into the old format for uploading.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook