A thought on plumbing, water wasted

• Thread starter Newai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary: But now that I think about it, that would be a waste of water. Much more energy is saved by not letting that heat leak into your house walls, compare to the energy used by the pump.
Newai
Waiting for the water to warm up means letting the shower/sink faucet run for a while, especially in this apartment building. So, how about a valve just above the tank that sends that water in the line back into a reservoir, which can be released back into the tank?

Physics news on Phys.org
Good idea.

That's typically done in apartment buildings - it kinda has to be since otherwise it would take forever to get hot water. It requires a pump though, and for houses the energy loss of the pump and heat loss in the pipes that are always hot would cancel out the $$ saved in water.

This is a good idea.
People always talk about reusing grey water from baths and showers. I always thought it would be a good idea to channel it to a water butt outside of my house. When I did some research I found that the water could only be stored for about a day without treating it so I don't think it is such a good idea after all.

russ_watters said:
That's typically done in apartment buildings - it kinda has to be since otherwise it would take forever to get hot water. It requires a pump though, and for houses the energy loss of the pump and heat loss in the pipes that are always hot would cancel out the $$ saved in water.

A pump for what? I mean using a valve right above the tank to release the water already in the line from the tank to the faucet/shower head back into a reservoir that could return the water back into the tank.

Last edited:
Chi Meson said:
It already exists.

I'm coming back with a link...

Here it is:

http://www.gothotwater.com/

But that's a pump that requires electricity. My suggestion is strictly mechanical/nonelectrical.

lincs-b said:
This is a good idea.
People always talk about reusing grey water from baths and showers. I always thought it would be a good idea to channel it to a water butt outside of my house. When I did some research I found that the water could only be stored for about a day without treating it so I don't think it is such a good idea after all.

I thought that was water intended for the toilet. Given how often most places will have the toilet used, you shouldn't need to store it for more than a day.

Newai said:
But that's a pump that requires electricity. My suggestion is strictly mechanical/nonelectrical.
Well, that's simply not going to work. The water in the tank is about 60 psi greater than atmospheric pressure. That's the reason it comes out when you open the faucet. A difference in pressure is needed to cause water to flow. If you let the faucet run until the water got hot, then that water is now at ATM, and it can't funnel back into the tank without be pressurized.

I can't tell if this is the system I heard of before, but the real water to save is the hot water that is in your pipes after you turn off the faucet. At this point the pump pushes that hot water back into the tank. Since this hot water is pushed by the equally pressured cold water, very little force/energy is needed to do this pumping.

Much more energy is saved by not letting that heat leak into your house walls, compare to the energy used by the pump.

Hmm. Okay, thanks for clearing that up.

Newai said:
A pump for what? I mean using a valve right above the tank to release the water already in the line from the tank to the faucet/shower head back into a reservoir that could return the water back into the tank.
Domestic water systems don't have air in them so you can't just "release" the water and let it fall. The entire system is always pressurized, otherwise water wouldn't flow up the pipes in the first place.

Chi Meson said:
It already exists.

I'm coming back with a link...

Here it is:

http://www.gothotwater.com/
The downside of not having a dedicated return is that now your cold water pipes contain warm water.

Newai said:
I thought that was water intended for the toilet. Given how often most places will have the toilet used, you shouldn't need to store it for more than a day.

It can be used for gardening as well, my idea was for it to collect in a rain butt type container out side of the house. There would be no need for a pump then.
So much water gets wasted by burst pipes any idea would have to save a household money rather than being concerned with saving a small amount of water.

russ_watters said:
The downside of not having a dedicated return is that now your cold water pipes contain warm water.

The original system that I heard of about 2 years ago did have a 3rd pipe to allow the "pre-runoff" to go back to the tank. When the temp reached about 5 degrees of the expected "hot" temp, the water would flow from the faucet, and when the faucet was turned off, cold water pushed the hot back to the tank.

I considered installing this system, but I already have a rather efficient short-run to most of my taps, and I installed a 4-gallon "point-of-use" mini-tank in my kitchen.

In general, I highly recommend the POU heaters, both tankless and minitank, for your far-reaching faucets.

Related to A thought on plumbing, water wasted

1. How much water is wasted due to plumbing issues?

According to the Environmental Protection Agency, an average household can waste up to 10,000 gallons of water each year due to plumbing leaks and inefficiencies.

2. How can I prevent water waste in my plumbing system?

Regularly checking for and fixing leaks, installing low-flow fixtures, and using water-saving habits such as turning off the tap while brushing your teeth can all help prevent water waste in your plumbing system.

3. What are some common plumbing issues that can lead to water waste?

Dripping faucets, running toilets, and leaky pipes are some of the most common plumbing issues that can lead to water waste in a household.

4. Can water waste from plumbing affect the environment?

Yes, water waste from plumbing can have a negative impact on the environment by putting strain on local water sources and ecosystems. It can also contribute to water scarcity in areas where water resources are limited.

5. How can I calculate my household's water usage and identify areas of waste?

You can track your household's water usage by checking your water bill and using online calculators. To identify areas of waste, you can conduct a water audit by checking for leaks and monitoring your water usage habits and patterns.