A thought worth thinking ( or maybe not)

• Thread starter Deepak K Kapur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thinking
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of existence and perception. The speaker questions whether a firefly would exist if there was no one to observe it, and provides an example of micro-organisms to support their argument. They also mention the role of human perception in shaping our understanding of the world. However, the conversation is ultimately closed due to the topic being considered outside of the scope of the forum.
Deepak K Kapur
I am a materialist (99%) and believe that if somebody hits something on my head with force, all my emotions, feelings, thoughts and even life would vanish in an instant.

Yet, a few days ago something happened like this...

I was sitting in my room at night and there was an electric cut. Darkness engulfed the room. Suddenly, I saw a mysterious light in the room. I got curious and ultimately it turned out to be a firefly (so much for curiosity).

Suddenly, a thought appeared in my mind as follows:

If I had not been in the room and there would have been no one else also in this universe to look at the firefly, would the firefly still exist?

Suddenly, I have posted it here. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
yes.

If we say it would exist then it would. Wow! that was deep! :eek:

Of course it would exist. Your question assumes that there is a firefly to look at.

consciousness said:
If we say it would exist then it would. Wow! that was deep! :eek:

I say you don't, so you don't!
:biggrin:

Enigman said:
I say you don't, so you don't!
:biggrin:

Indeed if you say I don't then I don't...(To you that is :biggrin:)

Drakkith said:
Of course it would exist. Your question assumes that there is a firefly to look at.

Let me give another example.

When micro-organisms were first proposed, people mocked at the idea and said that life cannot be so small as what would be its purpose and so on and so forth.

When people got signals of a bacteria through a microscope (and through various other indirect means), they started believing it.

When I see a firefly, all that is being done is that certain signals are being interpreted by the human brain (normal brain) in a particular way. If there are no signals or no brain to interpret them, what remains of the firefly.

In other words, it's possible that other living beings like insects or birds etc. don't see the firefly at all. They may view it to be totally different if we could ever take a snapshot from their angle.

It may also mean (IMHO), that at the very moment there may be countless invisible creatures accompanying the firefly because we are not able to receive signals from them. If in future, if we are able to do so (by an instrument, suppose) we would say that spirits (or whatever) exists and then we would be ready to mold the physical laws to fit the new picture.

I am in no way saying that the present physicals laws are wrong, but simply that human make (or discover?) laws when they are able to sense or see things. It's our sense or perception that seems to be rule the roost.

Likes gracy
Enigman said:
Philosophy isn't supposed to be allowed in the fora.
Exactly.

Thread closed.

1. What does "A thought worth thinking" mean?

"A thought worth thinking" is a phrase that implies a thought that is deep, meaningful, and worth contemplating. It suggests that the thought has value and significance in some way.

2. Is "A thought worth thinking" a scientific concept?

No, "A thought worth thinking" is not a scientific concept. It is a philosophical idea that can be interpreted and discussed in various ways. It is not based on empirical evidence or scientific theories, but rather on personal beliefs and perspectives.

3. How can I know if a thought is worth thinking?

There is no definitive answer to this question as what is considered a "thought worth thinking" can vary greatly from person to person. However, some may argue that a thought worth thinking is one that challenges our beliefs and perceptions, encourages critical thinking, and leads to personal growth and understanding.

4. Can a thought not be worth thinking?

Yes, some thoughts may not be worth thinking about. These could be thoughts that are harmful, negative, or unproductive. It is important to be mindful of the thoughts we choose to entertain and their potential impact on our well-being.

5. How can "A thought worth thinking" impact my life?

"A thought worth thinking" can have a significant impact on our lives as it can influence our beliefs, behaviors, and decisions. It can also lead to personal growth, deeper understanding, and more fulfilling relationships. However, it is important to critically evaluate and reflect on these thoughts to ensure they align with our values and goals.