Proving Integral: $$t-3t^3+t^5\over 1+t^4+t^8$$ $\&$ $$\ln(-\ln t)$$

• MHB
  • Thread starter Tony1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: Combining these two equations, we get:$\displaystyle 3I = \frac{\pi\log 2}{3\sqrt{3}}+I+J = \frac{\pi\log 2}{3\sqrt{3}}+2I.$Therefore, $\displaystyle I = \frac{\pi\log 2}{3\sqrt{3}}.$Similarly, we can show that $\displaystyle J = \frac{2\pi\log 2}{3\sqrt{3}}.$Hence, $\displaystyle I-\frac{1}{2}J = \frac{\pi\
Tony1
Given:

A so-called complicate integral has a such a simple closed form, quite amazed me, but how to prove it, is an other story.

$$\int_{0}^{1}\mathrm dt{t-3t^3+t^5\over 1+t^4+t^8}\cdot \ln(-\ln t) dt=\color{red}{{\pi\over 3\sqrt{3}}}\cdot \color{blue}{\ln 2\over 2}$$

Does anyone know to how prove this integral?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Tony said:
Given:

A so-called complicate integral has a such a simple closed form, quite amazed me, but how to prove it, is an other story.

$$\int_{0}^{1}\mathrm dt{t-3t^3+t^5\over 1+t^4+t^8}\cdot \ln(-\ln t) dt=\color{red}{{\pi\over 3\sqrt{3}}}\cdot \color{blue}{\ln 2\over 2}$$

Does anyone know to how prove this integral?

Well, I'm not saying it will lead anywhere, but it seems hopeful to factor that denominator and create a partial fraction decomposition of that lovely rational expression.

In case it doesn't strike you: $1 + t^{4} + t^{8} = \left(1 + 2t^{4} + t^{8}\right) - t^{4} = \left(1 + t^{4}\right)^{2} - \left(t^{2}\right)^2$

Can you take it from there? It's possible you can do the same thing again and simplify the mess even more. Of course, you'll end up with four integral pieces, but each one may be more tractable.

I'm still trying to figure out what the two $dt$'s mean. :confused:

greg1313 said:
I'm still trying to figure out what the two $dt$'s mean. :confused:

haha! I totally missed the second one. In any case, since it doesn't really matter if it's there at all if all we're doing is calculating an integral where the context is clear, I'm not disturbed by it. :-)

An observation: it can be written as $\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty}\frac{(e^{-2 x} + e^{2 x}-3) \log{x}}{1 + e^{-4 x} + e^{4 x}}\,dx$

It may be worth trying to write it as a series -- perhaps even twice.

Where's this integral from? It's one of the trickiest integrals I've seen.

Another observation: The integral can be written as

\(\displaystyle I = \int _0 ^1 \frac{\ln (- \ln x)}{x^2 + x + 1} \mathrm{d}x - \frac{1}{2} \int _0 ^1 \frac{\ln (- \ln x)}{x^2 - x + 1} \mathrm{d}x\),

but I'm not sure how to continue. It looks like these integrals can't be evaluated in terms of elementary functions and series (or other tricks) should be used, as June29 wrote.

Taking the equation given by Theia, define the functions $\mathcal{I}(\lambda)$ and $\mathcal{J}(\lambda)$ as follows:

$\displaystyle \mathcal{I}(\lambda)= \int_0^1 \frac{\log(-\lambda \log(x))}{1+x+x^2}\mathrm{d}x, ~~ \mathcal{J}(\lambda)= -\frac{1}{2}\int_0^1 \frac{\log(-\lambda \log(x))}{1-x+x^2}\mathrm{d}x$,

We have $\displaystyle \mathcal{I}(\lambda) = \frac{\pi \log(\lambda)}{3\sqrt{3}}+\mathcal{I}(1)$ and $\displaystyle \mathcal{J}(\lambda) = -\frac{\pi \log(\lambda)}{3\sqrt{3}}+\mathcal{J}(1)$

I feel like I'm missing something. The constants are so close to the value of the integral (for $\lambda = 2$ ).

But it seems all it's saying is that $\mathcal{I}(\lambda)+\mathcal{J}(\lambda) =\mathcal{I}(1)+\mathcal{J}(1)$ (i.e. the sum $\mathcal{I}+\mathcal{J}$ is independent of $\lambda$).

Last edited:
Theia said:

\(\displaystyle I = \int _0 ^1 \frac{\ln (- \ln x)}{x^2 + x + 1} \mathrm{d}x - \frac{1}{2} \int _0 ^1 \frac{\ln (- \ln x)}{x^2 - x + 1} \mathrm{d}x\),

but I'm not sure how to continue. It looks like these integrals can't be evaluated in terms of elementary functions and series (or other tricks) should be used, as June29 wrote.
Forgot to post this, but someone pointed out to me letting $x \mapsto x^2$ in either integral gives us the answer!

Theia said:

\[\int _0 ^1 \frac{\ln (- \ln x)}{x^2 + x + 1}\,\mathrm{d}x=\frac{\pi}{\sqrt{3}}\ln\left(\frac{\Gamma(2/3)}{\Gamma(1/3)}\sqrt[3]{2\pi}\right),\]
\[\int _0 ^1 \frac{\ln (- \ln x)}{x^2 - x + 1}\,\mathrm{d}x=\frac{2\pi}{\sqrt{3}}\ln\left(\frac{\sqrt[6]{32\pi^5}}{\Gamma(1/6)}\right).\]

zgsqcy said:
\[\int _0 ^1 \frac{\ln (- \ln x)}{x^2 + x + 1}\,\mathrm{d}x=\frac{\pi}{\sqrt{3}}\ln\left(\frac{\Gamma(2/3)}{\Gamma(1/3)}\sqrt[3]{2\pi}\right),\]
\[\int _0 ^1 \frac{\ln (- \ln x)}{x^2 - x + 1}\,\mathrm{d}x=\frac{2\pi}{\sqrt{3}}\ln\left(\frac{\sqrt[6]{32\pi^5}}{\Gamma(1/6)}\right).\]
It's easier than that. Call the integrals $I$ and $J$ and by letting $x \mapsto x^2$ we have:

$\begin{aligned} I & = \int_{0}^{1}\frac{\log(-\log x)}{x^2+x+1}\,dx \\& = \int_{0}^{1}\frac{2x\left[\log 2+\log(-\log x)\right]}{x^4+x^2+1}\,dx \\& =\frac{\pi\log 2}{3\sqrt{3}}+\int_{0}^{1}\log(-\log x)\left[\frac{1}{x^2-x+1}-\frac{1}{x^2+x+1}\right]\,dx \\& = \frac{\pi\log 2}{3\sqrt{3}}+\int_{0}^{1}\frac{\log(-\log x)}{x^2-x+1}\,dx-\int_{0}^{1}\frac{\log(-\log x)}{x^2+x+1}\,dx\end{aligned}$

Thus $\displaystyle 2I = \frac{\pi\log 2}{3\sqrt{3}}+J.$ Hence $\displaystyle I-\frac{1}{2}J = \frac{\pi\log 2}{6\sqrt{3}}.$

1. How do you prove the integral of $$t-3t^3+t^5\over 1+t^4+t^8$$?

The integral of the given expression can be proved using the substitution method, where t is substituted with u=1/t. This will result in an integral of the form $$\int\frac{1-3u+u^3}{1+u^4+u^8}\frac{du}{u^2}$$ which can be solved using partial fractions and trigonometric substitutions.

2. What is the importance of proving integrals?

Proving integrals is important in mathematics and science as it allows us to find the exact value of a function over a given interval. This is especially useful in physics and engineering where precise calculations are necessary for applications such as finding the area under a curve or the volume of a solid.

3. Can the integral of a function ever be undefined?

Yes, the integral of a function can be undefined if the function is discontinuous or if it has a singularity within the interval of integration. It can also be undefined if the function is unbounded.

4. How do you prove the integral of a natural logarithm function such as $$\ln(-\ln t)$$?

To prove the integral of a natural logarithm function, we can use integration by parts with the substitution u=-ln(t). This will result in an integral of the form $$\int\ln(-\ln t)\,dt$$ which can be solved using integration by parts again or by using the properties of logarithms.

5. Is there a specific method for proving integrals or can any method be used?

There are various methods for proving integrals such as substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric substitutions. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the integral and the properties of the given function.