A tricky 2nd Oder ODE Problem,nonhomo delta=0 case

• Thread starter whatababy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, to solve the initial value problem y''+8.4y'+17.64y=e^{-4.2x}, with y(0)=1 and y'(0)=1, we first solve the corresponding homogeneous equation to get yc=c_1e^{-4.2x}+c_2xe^{-4.2x}. Then, we assume a particular solution yp=Axe^{-4.2x} and differentiate it to get yp'=2Ae^{-4.2x}-4.2Axe^{-4.2x} and yp''=2Ae^{-4.2x}-16.8Axe^{-4.2x}+17.64Axe^{-4.2
whatababy
solve the initial value problem:
y''+8.4y'+17.64y=e-4.2x
y(0)=1, y'(0)=1

y(x)=?

The way I tried to achieve is to solve the corresponding homo equation first:
y''+8.4y'+17.64y=0, which gives yc;
yc=c1e-4.2x+c2e-4.2xx

Then try to find yp, generally I would assume a yp=Ae-4.2x, but from the yc got above, clearly yp=Ae-4.2x or yp=Ae-4.2xx is not good. If I add one more 'x' in yp assumption,in which it seems A has to be 0, which is not right either...

Any idea? Or I made some mistake?

Meric.

Physics news on Phys.org
Because both [itex]e^{-4.2x}[/itex] and [itex]xe^{-4.2x}[/itex] satisfy the homogeneous equation, you need "go up" one more x: try
[tex]y_p= x^2e^{-4.2x}[/tex]

Was that what you meant by "add one more 'x' in yp assumption"?

If
[tex]y_p= Ax^2e^{-4.2x}[/tex]
then
[tex]y_p'= 2Axe^{-4.2x}- 4.2Ax^2e^{-4.2x}[/tex]
and
[tex]y_p"= 2Ae^{-4.2x}- 16.8Axe^{-4.2x}+ 17.64Ax^2e^{-4.2x}[/tex]
Putting that into the differential equation, all the terms involving [itex]xe^{-4.2x}[/itex] or [itex]x^2e^{-4.2x}[/itex] will cancel leaving only [itex]2Ae^{-4.2}= e^{-4.2x}[/itex] so A is NOT 0.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I made a silly mistake in differentiate the Yp...

Yeah, you are right, I got the right answer now. Thanks

1. What is a 2nd order ODE?

A 2nd order ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivatives with respect to a single independent variable. It is used to model various physical and natural phenomena and is an important tool in scientific research.

2. What makes the "nonhomo delta=0 case" tricky?

The "nonhomo delta=0 case" refers to a specific type of 2nd order ODE that has a nonhomogeneous term (a term that includes a function that is not equal to 0) and a delta function (a function that is 0 everywhere except at one point). This combination of nonhomogeneous and delta terms can make solving the ODE more challenging and require advanced mathematical techniques.

3. How do you solve a tricky 2nd order ODE problem?

The process of solving a tricky 2nd order ODE problem involves several steps. First, the equation must be rewritten in standard form. Then, the solution can be found by using various methods such as separation of variables, variation of parameters, or Laplace transforms. It is also important to check for boundary conditions and to verify the solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

4. What are some real-world applications of 2nd order ODEs?

2nd order ODEs are used to model a wide range of physical and natural phenomena, including motion of objects, electrical circuits, heat transfer, and population growth. They are also commonly used in engineering, physics, biology, and other scientific fields to understand and predict the behavior of systems and processes.

5. Can 2nd order ODEs be solved numerically?

Yes, 2nd order ODEs can be solved numerically using numerical methods such as the Euler method or the Runge-Kutta method. These methods involve approximating the solution at discrete points and using iterative calculations to find the solution. Numerical solutions can be helpful when the ODE cannot be solved analytically or when the solution is needed at specific points.