What is the solution for the troublesome integral?

• Thread starter muzialis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the person is struggling to make progress on a problem and WolframAlpha suggests a substitution that does not work.
muzialis
All,

I would like to compute the integral $$ C \int_{-a}^{0} \sqrt {\frac{-2x}{a+x}}\mathrm{d}x$$.
If anyone is interested in its physical meaning they can check section 9.4.3 at http://solidmechanics.org/text/Chapter9_4/Chapter9_4.htm#Sect9_4_1.

I am struggling to make any progress, yet the result is presented without computations on a number of textbook, hinting at the fact it should be relatively simple to reproduce...
The result is, if the cionstant C is taken as $$C = \frac{K^{2} 2 (1-\nu^{2})}{E \sqrt{2} \pi}$$, $$ a \frac{1-\nu^{2}}{E} K^{2}$$.

Thank you ever so much

Physics news on Phys.org
Take ##x = -a\sin^2\theta## with ##\theta## going from ##\pi/2## to ##\pi##. Then ##-2x = 2a\sin^2\theta##, ##a+x = a\cos^2\theta##, and ##dx = -2a\sin\theta\cos\theta d\theta##. Plug it all in and you should be able to do the resulting integral.

(Hint: aside from recognizing the form of the integral, knowing that there are factors of ##\pi## in the final answer is usually a tip-off that you should use trigonometric substitution).

Last edited:
LastOneStanding,
thank you ever so much.
So, after the change of variable you suggested I still would not know where to start to look for an analytical solution, but while I work on it I used Wolfram, which yields the indefinite integral
$$a(cos(2x)-4log(cos(x)))$$
Now, $$cos(\frac{1}{2}\pi )$$ is zero, so one term will diverge upon trying to compute the definite integral betwen the limits of integration $$\pi$$ and $$\frac{\pi}{2}$$, I am not sure I am right here...
Thanks

Show your steps. You're making a mistake with the substitution because that is not the correct antiderivative. Go slowly and don't rely on WolframAlpha. The integrand you get from this substitution is very simple and, if you're really stuck on how to do it, can be looked up in any standard table of integrals like this one.

I got it, only my laziness prevented me to notice the argument was a squared tangent leading to mssive simplification, after which it was smooth crusing.
Thank you ever so much hope sometime to be able to exchange the favour.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to find the total value or quantity of a changing variable over a given interval.

2. Why is the integral troublesome?

The integral can be troublesome because it often involves complex calculations and may not have a simple closed-form solution. This can make it difficult to solve and may require advanced mathematical techniques.

3. How do you solve a troublesome integral?

There are various methods for solving integrals, including substitution, integration by parts, and using tables of integrals. It may also be helpful to break the integral into smaller, more manageable parts.

4. What are some real-world applications of integrals?

Integrals have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are used to calculate areas, volumes, and rates of change, and can help to model and solve real-world problems.

5. Can integrals have multiple solutions?

Yes, integrals can have multiple solutions or answers, depending on the given parameters and the method used to solve them. This is why it is important to check the solution and make sure it is valid for the given problem.