Proving U(55) = U(55)^3 Algebraically

• Thread starter e(ho0n3
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about proving that U(55)^3 is equal to U(55) by finding an automorphism. The individual is having trouble showing that the function f(x) = x^3 (mod 55) is injective. They are also discussing the possibility of U(55) having zero divisors, but conclude that it does not since it would violate the closure property of a group.
e(ho0n3
Homework Statement
Show that [itex]U(55)^3 = \{x^3 \, : \, x \in U(55)\}[/itex] is U(55).

The attempt at a solution
I wrote a Perl script that computes both U(55) and [itex]U(55)^3[/itex] and they both are equal. However, I want to solve this algebraically. My attempt is to define [itex]f(x) = x^3[/itex] (mod 55) and demonstrate that f is an automorphism. If f is an automorphism, surely U(55) = [itex]U(55)^3[/itex]. I'm having trouble showing that f is injective.

Suppose f(a) = f(b) and [itex]a \ne b[/itex] where a, b are in U(55). f(a) = f(b) is equiv. to [itex]a^3 = b^3[/itex] (mod 55). I need is reduce this latter equation to a = b (mod 55) but I'm unable to do so.

Physics news on Phys.org
Saying a3= b3 (mod 55) is the same as saying a3- b3= (a- b)(a2+ ab+ b2)= 0 (mod 55). Does U55 have zero-divisors? What can you say about a2+ ab+ b2= 0 (mod 55)?

I would say U(55) doesn't have zero divisors for if it did, it would not be a group because of closure. If [itex]a^2 + ab + b^2[/itex] = 0 (mod 55), then [itex]a^2 + ab + b^2[/itex] is a multiple of 55 so it is not in U(55).

1. How do you prove that U(55) is equal to U(55)^3?

To prove that U(55) is equal to U(55)^3, we need to use the algebraic definition of U(n) which states that U(n) = 1 + 2 + 3 + ... + (n-1). By applying this definition to both sides of the equation, we can show that U(55) = U(55)^3.

2. Can you show the mathematical steps used to prove U(55) = U(55)^3?

Yes, the mathematical steps used to prove U(55) = U(55)^3 involve expanding both sides of the equation using the algebraic definition of U(n) and then simplifying the resulting expressions until they are equal. This process may involve combining like terms, using the distributive property, and applying other algebraic rules.

3. What is the significance of proving U(55) = U(55)^3?

Proving U(55) = U(55)^3 algebraically helps to demonstrate the consistency and accuracy of the algebraic definition of U(n). It also shows how mathematical concepts, such as summation and exponents, are interconnected and can be used to solve problems.

4. Are there any alternative ways to prove U(55) = U(55)^3?

Yes, there are other ways to prove U(55) = U(55)^3 without using the algebraic definition of U(n). One method is to use the formula for the sum of an arithmetic series, which states that the sum of the first n terms of an arithmetic sequence is given by Sn = n/2(a1 + an), where a1 is the first term and an is the last term. By applying this formula to both sides of the equation, we can show that U(55) = U(55)^3.

5. Can this proof be generalized to other values of n?

Yes, the proof for U(55) = U(55)^3 can be generalized to other values of n. By using the algebraic definition of U(n) and following the same steps, we can prove that U(n) = U(n)^3 for any positive integer n.