1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A U(55) Problem

1. Jun 11, 2008 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that [itex]U(55)^3 = \{x^3 \, : \, x \in U(55)\}[/itex] is U(55).

The attempt at a solution
    I wrote a Perl script that computes both U(55) and [itex]U(55)^3[/itex] and they both are equal. However, I want to solve this algebraically. My attempt is to define [itex]f(x) = x^3[/itex] (mod 55) and demonstrate that f is an automorphism. If f is an automorphism, surely U(55) = [itex]U(55)^3[/itex]. I'm having trouble showing that f is injective.

Suppose f(a) = f(b) and [itex]a \ne b[/itex] where a, b are in U(55). f(a) = f(b) is equiv. to [itex]a^3 = b^3[/itex] (mod 55). I need is reduce this latter equation to a = b (mod 55) but I'm unable to do so.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Saying a3= b3 (mod 55) is the same as saying a3- b3= (a- b)(a2+ ab+ b2)= 0 (mod 55). Does U55 have zero-divisors? What can you say about a2+ ab+ b2= 0 (mod 55)?
  4. Jun 11, 2008 #3
    I would say U(55) doesn't have zero divisors for if it did, it would not be a group because of closure. If [itex]a^2 + ab + b^2[/itex] = 0 (mod 55), then [itex]a^2 + ab + b^2[/itex] is a multiple of 55 so it is not in U(55).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?