A web-hub survey to predict your best dog breed

• Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Survey
In summary, this web-hub included a survey that has very few useful questions and gives the visitor only faulty choices. The questionnaire has no value and is designed to harvest data.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
One of the web-hubs included a link to a survey, "20 Questions Will Reveal Your Perfect Dog Breed", at https://www.exploredplanet.com/trending/answer-these-questions-and-well-tell-you-which-dog-breed-to-adopt/?utm_source=ya&utm_campaign=445882463-9825031329-ya&utm_medium=HOMEPAGE_US-ya&utm_content=39966935464-ya&vmcid=p$g,o$969f413c-2be0-11ee-ba6c-008cfac0a054-7f951ba94700,t$1690395409273 .

This seems interesting to me, so I clicked the link and tried to start the sequence of questions.

The trouble is, "my favorite Beatle", and "what I drink with breakfast"; and the choices to choose from, for me NONE of the choices presented. Not allowed to skip any; not allowd to say NONE! This questionare is a dud as far as I am concerned. With obvious unchoosable options, the sequence of questions is meaningless for any kind of result "which perfect breed" at the terminal.

edit: I just took another look through the questionnaire, tried to pick some almost sensible answers, and finally came to a question - to which my true response must be NONE OF THEM; but as you'd expect a clear choice must be made in order to continue the questionnaire. The questionnaire has no value.

Last edited:
Likes BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I hate the ones, whatEVER they are about, that present you with useless choices and then say you can't skip any. Seems particularly stupid when a company uses such to solicit customer feedback, which I have encountered several times.

Last edited:
Likes BillTre
Consider an even worse outcome:

If they didn't screw up the user experience so as to render these questionnaire obviously useless, people might actually be lulled into thinking they're not useless.

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes Tom.G, BillTre, symbolipoint and 1 other person
The dog breed I consider best for me is based on my past experience with them.
The answer for me is probably a rottweiler-lab mix.
However, since there are lots of breeds I have not interacted with, its not a strong conclusion.
Additionally, there will be variance in personal compatibility within a strain.

I would suggest forget the screens and visit lots of dog pounds (or whatever they are now called), interact with the dogs and find out what you like.

Last edited:
Likes DaveE
phinds said:
Yeah, I hate the ones, whatEVER they are about, that present you with useless choices and the say you can't skip any.
Veerrryyyy cleverly disguised marketing surveys/sucker bait...stay awwaaayyyy.

Likes DaveE and BillTre
Bystander said:
Probably, very most probably so. Still, it is designed with too much of a fault. Not of any real use to whoever published it, due to some or so many questions being give-the-visitor-only-faulty-choices per question. BillTre has the right idea; or better, potential dog adopters need to "do their research".

So, ask yourself, who would put in the effort to make this sort of social media survey? What's in it for them? If they don't prominently display a brand you know (Coca-Cola, Ford, etc.) and they aren't obviously selling you a product you will pay real money for, then you (your data) is the product. They are harvesting your data to make money from someone else. Seriously, why do THEY give a #$@! about what dog breed best suits you?

There's no free lunch. If you don't know who the mark is, then it's you.

Likes DaveC426913 and BillTre
They're not just looking for your buying habits, they're also (possibly) phishing to steal your ID.

I avoid questionnaires at all costs - unless I really want to do them.

Likes DaveE and BillTre
Bystander said:
No, not at all. I'm talking about reputable companies with which I do business, not something coming at me out of left field.

DaveE said:
So, ask yourself, who would put in the effort to make this sort of social media survey? What's in it for them? If they don't prominently display a brand you know (Coca-Cola, Ford, etc.) and they aren't obviously selling you a product you will pay real money for, then you (your data) is the product. They are harvesting your data to make money from someone else. Seriously, why do THEY give a #$@! about what dog breed best suits you?

There's no free lunch. If you don't know who the mark is, then it's you.
Whoever are they really, due to my having no answers for so many of their questions, they missed me as a mark.

1. What is a web-hub survey to predict your best dog breed?

A web-hub survey to predict your best dog breed is an online questionnaire that uses a series of questions to determine which dog breed may be the best fit for you based on your lifestyle, preferences, and needs.

2. How accurate is the prediction from the web-hub survey?

The accuracy of the prediction from the web-hub survey will depend on the quality of the survey and the information provided by the participant. Some surveys may have a higher accuracy rate than others, but it is important to keep in mind that these results are not definitive and should be taken as a guideline rather than a guarantee.

3. Can I trust the results of the web-hub survey?

The results of the web-hub survey should not be taken as the only factor in choosing a dog breed. It is always important to do additional research and consult with a veterinarian or a professional dog trainer before making a decision. However, the survey can be a helpful tool in narrowing down your options and providing some guidance.

4. How long does it take to complete the web-hub survey?

The length of time to complete the web-hub survey may vary depending on the number of questions and how quickly you are able to answer them. On average, it may take around 10-15 minutes to complete the survey.

5. Are there any costs associated with the web-hub survey?

Most web-hub surveys to predict your best dog breed are free to use. However, some surveys may require a small fee for more detailed results or additional features. It is important to read the terms and conditions before completing the survey to avoid any unexpected costs.