AA Batteries heating up during severe hail storm.

In summary, my friend was jumping around and pulling out AA batteries during a hail storm, but nothing else was in his pockets. The terminals on the batteries were being shorted out, likely by the hail storm.
Phill123
Once during a severe hail storm (it lasted a few minutes and looked like it had snowed everywhere),
my friend starting jumping around as if something was burning him, and he pulled 2 AA batteries out of his pocket and threw them outside. They were really hot and quickly melted a hole in the hail/snow where they fell.

There was nothing in his pockets except the 2 batteries.

I thought there would be a simple science based answer to this but when I asked somebody quite knowledgeable previously I got looked at like an idiot.

I have wondered about this question on and off since it happened 10 years ago, and have never had an answer.
Maybe someone here can explain what caused these batteries to heat up?
Was it anything to do with the storm?

Thanks,

Phill

Science news on Phys.org
It could be that whatever clothing he was wearing had a high content of metals or other electrically conducting substance.
When dry the conductivity would be there but quite low, but added water could increase it a lot, this providing enough current to heat things up considerably.

Last edited:
Likes davenn
I forgot to mention we were indoors so he didn't get wet. He moved out the door to throw them as he didn't want to burn the carpet

Phill123 said:
I forgot to mention we were indoors so he didn't get wet. He moved out the door to throw them as he didn't want to burn the carpet

there's nothing in a storm that could cause that ...
you need to look at the material and what else may have been in his pockets with the batteries

The ONLY way the batteries could have heated up is if their terminals were being shorted out

EDIT ... just noticed you said 10 yrs ago ... I suspect the story has changed somewhat
and details have been omitted / forgotten with the passage of timeDave

Thanks for the answer. I'm confident i have the details correct still,
however i agree you are most likely correct that it must have been the fabric conducting, and the storm a coincidence.
There was certainly nothing else in his pocket.

Its quite possible that the insulation on one cell was damaged and that allowed the other cell to short the first. The insulation might have been damaged by dropping the cell of similar. Its not hard to do.

1. Why do AA batteries heat up during severe hail storms?

During a severe hail storm, the temperature drops significantly, causing the air to become more dense. This denser air creates a higher resistance to the flow of electricity, causing the battery to work harder to maintain its output. This increased activity generates heat, causing the battery to heat up.

2. Is it dangerous for AA batteries to heat up during a hail storm?

In most cases, a slight increase in temperature is not dangerous for AA batteries. However, if the battery becomes too hot, it can cause the battery to vent or leak, potentially damaging the device it is powering. It is important to monitor the temperature of batteries and remove them from any devices if they become too hot.

3. Can AA batteries explode or catch fire during a hail storm?

While it is rare for AA batteries to explode or catch fire, it is not impossible. If a battery becomes too hot, it can cause the internal components to break down and release gases, which can lead to an explosion or fire. It is important to monitor the temperature of batteries during a hail storm and take necessary precautions to prevent accidents.

4. How can I protect my AA batteries during a hail storm?

To protect your AA batteries during a hail storm, it is important to store them in a cool, dry place. If you are using them in a device, make sure the device is turned off and the batteries are removed if they begin to heat up. Additionally, you can use insulated storage containers to protect the batteries from extreme temperatures.

5. Are rechargeable AA batteries more prone to heating up during a hail storm?

Rechargeable AA batteries are not necessarily more prone to heating up during a hail storm. However, they may have a higher output and be more likely to generate heat during use, especially if they are overcharged. It is important to properly charge and monitor the temperature of all batteries during a hail storm to prevent any potential hazards.