Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh why ?

1. Sep 27, 2006 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh why!!?

I was working on a lab report at school. I finished it and I saved it on my flash drive. When I open the file at home, the last 2 pages are missing.......why!!!!!!1 Why me!? AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2006 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We have a personal drive at school with like 50 megs. It's also accesible from home too.

Probably one of the smartest things the school has created.

4. Sep 27, 2006 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Man I really dont want to retype it but o well, better get to it...

5. Sep 27, 2006 #4
    Just text? Copy and paste it into www.writely.com (run by google) and save it.

6. Sep 27, 2006 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I use redundant backups on two or more HD's. I have a main project directory for active projects. This directory is backed up two or three times. It is on my laptop, and two desktops, and I have an extra external HD as a 4th optional backup.

If I am working on a critical report, I can also email myself with the latest version. :biggrin:

My project archives are probably around 70 GB now, not including the calculation files which are a workstation which is backed up weekly to tape - and even that's redundantly backed up.

7. Sep 27, 2006 #6

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did you run the stop command on your flash drive before unpluging it?
    The purpose of the command is to flush any delayed write buffers and actually close the files.

8. Sep 27, 2006 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Weird... :confused:
    I do my stuff on paper and have never had that problem.

9. Sep 28, 2006 #8
    Write buffers are disabled for flashdrives by default to prevent such errors, but you're right - it's a good habit to use the stop command before unplugging USB devices.

10. Sep 28, 2006 #9

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The dog ate my last two pages. :wink:

Garth

11. Sep 28, 2006 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:biggrin: I print hard copies every so often, and do most of my editing on the hard copy before typing it onto the computer version (looking at a computer screen, it's easy to lose context and wind up with every paragraph starting with the same clause). I have back-ups on two computers and two flash drives too (not all the same version, but the stuff that's hardest to recreate is all in multiple places). This means that if one computer or drive fails, at worst, I have to transcribe my scribble from hard copy back to a typed version on the computer, which is a lot faster than trying to re-compose the thoughts that went into the writing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?