Missing Lab Report Pages- Why Me!?

• Thread starter G01
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person's frustration with losing the last 2 pages of their lab report after saving it on a flash drive. They discuss different methods of backing up their work, such as using a personal drive at school, emailing themselves the latest version, and using redundant backups on multiple devices. They also mention the importance of properly ejecting USB devices and using hard copies as a backup.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh why!?

I was working on a lab report at school. I finished it and I saved it on my flash drive. When I open the file at home, the last 2 pages are missing...why!1 Why me!? AHHHHHHHH!

Physics news on Phys.org
We have a personal drive at school with like 50 megs. It's also accesible from home too.

Probably one of the smartest things the school has created.

Man I really don't want to retype it but o well, better get to it...

Just text? Copy and paste it into www.writely.com (run by google) and save it.

I use redundant backups on two or more HD's. I have a main project directory for active projects. This directory is backed up two or three times. It is on my laptop, and two desktops, and I have an extra external HD as a 4th optional backup.

If I am working on a critical report, I can also email myself with the latest version. :biggrin:

My project archives are probably around 70 GB now, not including the calculation files which are a workstation which is backed up weekly to tape - and even that's redundantly backed up.

Did you run the stop command on your flash drive before unpluging it?
The purpose of the command is to flush any delayed write buffers and actually close the files.

G01 said:
I was working on a lab report at school. I finished it and I saved it on my flash drive. When I open the file at home, the last 2 pages are missing...why!1 Why me!? AHHHHHHHH!
Weird... :confused:
I do my stuff on paper and have never had that problem.

NoTime said:
Did you run the stop command on your flash drive before unpluging it?
The purpose of the command is to flush any delayed write buffers and actually close the files.
Write buffers are disabled for flashdrives by default to prevent such errors, but you're right - it's a good habit to use the stop command before unplugging USB devices.

Danger said:
The dog ate my last two pages. :wink:

Garth

Danger said:
:biggrin: I print hard copies every so often, and do most of my editing on the hard copy before typing it onto the computer version (looking at a computer screen, it's easy to lose context and wind up with every paragraph starting with the same clause). I have back-ups on two computers and two flash drives too (not all the same version, but the stuff that's hardest to recreate is all in multiple places). This means that if one computer or drive fails, at worst, I have to transcribe my scribble from hard copy back to a typed version on the computer, which is a lot faster than trying to re-compose the thoughts that went into the writing.

1. Why are my lab report pages missing?

There could be several reasons for missing lab report pages. It could be due to human error (misplacement or accidental deletion), technical issues (corrupted file or computer malfunction), or external factors (natural disasters or theft).

2. Can I still submit my lab report without the missing pages?

It is not advisable to submit an incomplete lab report. The missing pages may contain crucial data or information that could affect the overall accuracy and validity of your results. It is best to try and retrieve the missing pages or redo the experiment to ensure the completeness of your report.

3. What should I do if I cannot retrieve the missing lab report pages?

If you are unable to retrieve the missing pages, you should inform your supervisor or instructor immediately. They may have suggestions or protocols for handling missing pages in lab reports.

4. Will I be penalized for missing lab report pages?

It depends on the guidelines and policies set by your institution or department. Some may have a specific penalty or deduction for missing pages, while others may allow for exceptions in certain circumstances. It is crucial to communicate with your supervisor or instructor to clarify any penalties or consequences for missing pages in your lab report.

5. How can I prevent my lab report pages from going missing in the future?

To prevent missing lab report pages, you can take extra precautions, such as making digital copies of your report or saving multiple versions on different devices. It would also help to keep your lab report organized and properly labeled to avoid misplacement. Lastly, regularly backing up your work can also prevent significant losses in case of unforeseen circumstances.