Are Abelian fundamental groups always isomorphic in path connected spaces?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of isomorphisms in path connected spaces and how they may not always be canonical. It is mentioned that in the case of abelian fundamental groups, the isomorphisms are indeed canonical. The converse is also true, as shown through a proof and example.
R136a1
Hello everybody!

So, I've learned that in a path connected space, all fundamental groups are isomorphic. Indeed, if ##\gamma## is a path from ##x## to ##y##, then we have an isomorphism of groups given by

[tex]\Phi_\gamma : \pi_1(X,x)\rightarrow \pi_1(X,y): [f]\rightarrow [\overline{\gamma}]\cdot [f]\cdot [\gamma][/tex]

A problem here is that there is no "canonical" isomorphism. This means that if we are given two distinct paths ##\gamma## and ##\gamma^\prime## from ##x## to ##y##, then the isomorphisms ##\Phi_{\gamma}## and ##\Phi_{\gamma^\prime}## don't need to be equal.

Now, I read a comment somewhere that the isomorphisms are canonical in the case that the groups are all abelian. How would I justify this? So, I guess I'm asking why if the fundamental groups ##\pi(X,x)## and ##\pi_1(X,y)## are abelian, then for any paths ##\gamma## and ##\gamma^\prime## from ##x## to ##y##, we have ##\Phi_\gamma = \Phi_{\gamma^\prime}##.

Finally, is the converse true as well?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes the converse is true. For the first direction, let ##\pi_{1}(X,x)## be abelian and ##g,h## two paths from ##x## to ##y##. Note that ##g\bar{h}## is a loop based at ##x## so ##[g][\bar{h}]\in \pi_{1}(X,x)##, where the bar denotes the reverse path. Now let ##[f]\in \pi_{1}(X,x)## then ##\Phi_{g}([f][g][\bar{h}]) = [\bar{g}][f][g][\bar{h}][g] = \Phi_{g}([g][\bar{h}][f]) = [\bar{h}][f][g]## thus ##[\bar{g}][f][g] = [\bar{h}][f][h]## hence ##\Phi_{g} = \Phi_{h}##.

As for the converse, take ##x = y## and ##[f_1],[f_2],[c_{x}]\in \pi_{1}(X,x)## where ##c_{x}## is the constant loop based at ##x##. Then ##[\bar{f_2}][f_1][f_2] = [f_1]## so ##[f_1][f_2] = [f_2][f_1]## i.e. ##\pi(X,x)## is abelian.

Likes 1 person

What is an Abelian fundamental group?

An Abelian fundamental group, also known as the first homotopy group, is a mathematical concept in algebraic topology that represents the set of all possible loops on a topological space that can be continuously deformed into each other. It is a fundamental tool for understanding the shape and structure of topological spaces.

What properties does an Abelian fundamental group have?

An Abelian fundamental group has three main properties: it is Abelian, meaning that the order of multiplication does not matter; it is a group, meaning that it has an identity element, inverse elements, and closure under multiplication; and it is a homotopy invariant, meaning that it remains unchanged under continuous deformations of the topological space.

What is the significance of the Abelian fundamental group in mathematics?

The Abelian fundamental group is significant in mathematics because it provides a way to classify and distinguish between different topological spaces. It also allows for the calculation of other topological invariants, such as the Euler characteristic, which can provide valuable information about the shape and structure of a space.

How is the Abelian fundamental group calculated?

The Abelian fundamental group is typically calculated using the fundamental group theorem, which states that the fundamental group of a space is isomorphic to the group of equivalence classes of loops based at a chosen point in the space. This can be done by identifying generators and relations for the group and using algebraic techniques to calculate its properties.

What are some real-world applications of the Abelian fundamental group?

The Abelian fundamental group has applications in various fields, such as physics, computer science, and engineering. It can be used to study the behavior of physical systems, model and simulate complex networks, and optimize the design of structures and systems. It also has applications in data analysis and machine learning, particularly in the analysis of data with a topological structure.