Abelian groups and exponent of a group

In summary, if A is an abelian group of exponent m, then the exponent of any subgroup of A and of any homomorphic image of A divides m.
moont14263
Let [itex]p[/itex] be a prime. Let [itex]H_{i}[/itex], [itex]i=1,...,n[/itex] be normal subgroups of a finite group [itex]G[/itex]. I want to prove the following:
If [itex]G/H_{i}[/itex], [itex]i=1,...,n[/itex] are abelian groups of exponent dividing [itex]p-1[/itex], then [itex]G/N[/itex] is abelian group of exponent dividing [itex]p-1[/itex] where [itex]N=\bigcap H_{i} ,i=1,...,n[/itex].

Proof:
Since [itex]G/H_{i}[/itex], [itex]i=1,...,n[/itex] are abelian groups, then [itex]G^{'}[/itex] (the derived subgroup of [itex]G[/itex]) is contained in every [itex]H_{i}[/itex], [itex]i=1,...,n[/itex]. Hence [itex]G^{'}[/itex] is contained in [itex]N[/itex]. Therefore [itex]G/N[/itex] is abelian. I do not know how to deal with the exponent.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
moont14263 said:
Let [itex]p[/itex] be a prime. Let [itex]H_{i}[/itex], [itex]i=1,...,n[/itex] be normal subgroups of a finite group [itex]G[/itex]. I want to prove the following:
If [itex]G/H_{i}[/itex], [itex]i=1,...,n[/itex] are abelian groups of exponent dividing [itex]p-1[/itex], then [itex]G/N[/itex] is abelian group of exponent dividing [itex]p-1[/itex] where [itex]N=\bigcap H_{i} ,i=1,...,n[/itex].

Proof:
Since [itex]G/H_{i}[/itex], [itex]i=1,...,n[/itex] are abelian groups, then [itex]G^{'}[/itex] (the derived subgroup of [itex]G[/itex]) is contained in every [itex]H_{i}[/itex], [itex]i=1,...,n[/itex]. Hence [itex]G^{'}[/itex] is contained in [itex]N[/itex]. Therefore [itex]G/N[/itex] is abelian. I do not know how to deal with the exponent.
Thanks in advance.

I think you only need the following two things:

1) If A is an abelian group of exponent m, then the exponent of any subgroup of A and of any homomorphic image of A divides m

[tex](2)\,\,\forall i\,\,,\,\, N \leq H_i\, \Longrightarrow \,\,\forall\,\, g\in G\,\,,\, m(g + N) = N\Longrightarrow mg \in N \leq H_i\Longrightarrow \,m(g + H_i) = H_i \Longrightarrow [/tex]
[tex]\Longrightarrow\, m\,\, \text{divides the exponent of}\,\, G/H_i\,\, .[/tex]

DonAntonio

thank you very much.

Excuse me, how did you know that m is less than the exponent of G/Hi?

I would like to commend you on your work so far and offer some additional insight into the proof you have provided.

Firstly, let's define some terms for clarity. An abelian group is a group where the group operation is commutative, meaning that the order in which elements are multiplied does not affect the result. The exponent of a group is the smallest positive integer n such that a^n = e, where a is any element of the group and e is the identity element. In other words, the exponent is the smallest number of times an element must be multiplied by itself to get the identity element.

Now, to prove that G/N is an abelian group of exponent dividing p-1, we need to show that for any element a in G/N, (a^(p-1)) = e. This will demonstrate that the exponent of G/N divides p-1.

As you have correctly stated, G^{'} is contained in N, meaning that any element in G^{'} can be written as a product of elements in N. Since G^{'} is the derived subgroup, it is generated by commutators of elements in G, which can be written as a product of elements in N. This means that every element in G^{'} can be written as a product of elements in N, and therefore, (a^(p-1)) can be written as a product of elements in N.

Now, we know that the exponent of each G/H_{i} divides p-1, which means that for any element b in G/H_{i}, (b^(p-1)) = e. Since G/H_{i} is a quotient group, every element in G can be written as a product of elements in G/H_{i}. This means that (a^(p-1)) can also be written as a product of elements in G/H_{i}. Since each G/H_{i} is abelian, the order of elements in the product does not matter, and we can rearrange the elements to show that (a^(p-1)) is equal to the identity element in G/H_{i}. Therefore, (a^(p-1)) = e.

Combining this with the fact that (a^(p-1)) can be written as a product of elements in N, we can conclude that (a^(p-1)) = e for any element a in G/N. This proves that the

What is an Abelian group?

An Abelian group is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and an operation that combines any two elements to give a third element in the set. The defining characteristic of an Abelian group is that the operation is commutative, meaning that the order in which elements are combined does not affect the result.

What is the exponent of a group?

The exponent of a group is the smallest positive integer n such that every element of the group can be expressed as the product of n copies of the same element. In other words, it is the smallest number of times an element needs to be combined with itself to get the identity element of the group.

What is the significance of Abelian groups?

Abelian groups have many applications in mathematics, physics, and other sciences. They are used to study symmetry, group theory, and other abstract algebraic concepts. They also have practical applications in coding theory, cryptography, and signal processing.

How do you determine if a group is Abelian?

A group is Abelian if and only if its operation is commutative, meaning that for any two elements a and b in the group, a * b = b * a. This can be checked by examining the group's multiplication table or by verifying that the group's defining axioms satisfy the commutative property.

What is the connection between the exponent of a group and the order of its elements?

The exponent of a group is closely related to the order of its elements. Specifically, the exponent of a group is the least common multiple of the orders of all its elements. This means that if an element has a certain order, the exponent of the group must be a multiple of that order. Additionally, for a finite Abelian group, the exponent is equal to the order of the group.