About calculus of variation and lagrangian formulation

In summary, the conversation discusses the principle of least action and how to derive Newton's second law from it. The author defines a variation in the path and then uses a differential approximation to simplify the calculations. The conversation ends with the confirmation that the understanding has been achieved.
physlad
I was reading about the principle of least action and how to derive Newton's second out of it.

at a certain point I didn't follow the calculations,

so the author defines a variation in the path, [tex]x(t) \longrightarrow x'(t) = x(t) + a(t), a \ll x[/tex]

[tex]a(t_1) = a(t_2) = 0[/tex]

Now, [tex]S \longrightarrow S' = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} (m/2 (\dot{x} +\dot{a})^2 - V(x +a)) dt[/tex]

[tex]= \int_{t_1}^{t_2} {1/2 m\dot{x}^2 + m\dot{x}\dot{a} - [V(x) + aV'(x)]} dt + O(a^2)[/tex]

(what happened exactly here? could anybody tell me??)

then

[tex]= S + \int_{t_1}^{t_2} [m\dot{x}\dot{a} - aV'(x)] dt[/tex]

[tex]\equiv S + \delta{S}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you meant

[tex]
S \longrightarrow S' = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} (m/2 (\dot{x}(t) +\dot{a}(t))^2 - V(x(t) + a(t))) dt
[/tex]

? It looks like they simply used a differential approximation. (i.e. a first-order Taylor series)

Yes, I got it. Thanks

1. What is calculus of variations?

Calculus of variations is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the extrema (maximum or minimum) of a functional, which is a function whose input is a function. It is used to solve optimization problems in which the objective is to find the function that minimizes or maximizes a given quantity.

2. What is the Lagrangian formulation?

The Lagrangian formulation is a method used in the calculus of variations to find the extrema of a functional. It involves defining a Lagrangian function, which is a combination of the objective function and any constraints, and then using the Euler-Lagrange equation to find the function that minimizes or maximizes the Lagrangian.

3. What are some applications of calculus of variations?

Calculus of variations has many applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. It is used to solve problems such as finding the shortest path between two points, determining the shape of a hanging chain, and optimizing control systems.

4. What is the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a differential equation that is used to find the extrema of a functional in the calculus of variations. It is derived from the principle of least action, which states that the path taken by a system between two points is the one that minimizes the action (a quantity that is related to the total energy of the system).

5. What is the difference between the calculus of variations and traditional calculus?

The main difference between the calculus of variations and traditional calculus is that in the calculus of variations, the input of a function is another function, whereas in traditional calculus, the input is a variable. Additionally, the goal in the calculus of variations is to find the function that minimizes or maximizes a quantity, rather than finding the value of a function at a specific point.