Why Does a Function Have Unique X-Coordinates?

• Thread starter Gurasees
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, a function is like a machine that takes in an input and gives us an output. The output depends on the input and the rule that the function follows. However, if one input (x) can have multiple outputs (y), then it would not make sense because the function would have the same rule but give different outputs for the same input. This is why a function cannot have the same x coordinate in a set of ordered pairs, as it would cause confusion and make the function less useful. This concept can also be thought of as a map, where a function takes you from one place (x) to another (y), but if it takes you to multiple places for one starting point, it would not be a good map
Gurasees
Why a function can't have same x coordinates in a set of ordered pairs or in other words, in a function why an element of X can't have more than one image in Y? I know it's the definition, but i want to know the reason behind it.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Picture a function as a sort of machine. We put something into it, and it gives us something out. I didn't say what these things are, they're just things. Now, what we get out depends on 1. What we put in, and 2. How the machine works.

So let's say I have a machine called [itex]f[/itex]. Let's say the object I input is called [itex]x[/itex]. Then the notation we use for the output is [itex]f(x)[/itex].

Now, that doesn't really tell us anything. Ideally, what we want to know is: if I give this function an input, what will the output be?

There are a lot of ways to specify the "rule" for the function, i.e. What the function does to the input in order to make an output. For instance, we could use a graph to show what the output would be. We could also use words, or we could use an algebraic formula.

Suppose we want a function to take our inputs and square them. So our input is [itex]x[/itex], we'll call our function [itex]f[/itex], and the output is [itex]f(x)[/itex], and we can describe what the output will look like by saying [itex]f(x) = x^2[/itex]. Or, to put it in words, the output of the function f, when we give it the number x, is equal to the square of x.

Now you see, we need to have this rule that tells us how the function will work. In the above example, the rule is "take your number and square it, and the result is the output."

However, the rule would be useless if one x value could have multiple y values. That would mean that we could put one number into the function and get a result, and then we put the same number in again and get an entirely different result. That doesn't make sense, because the function still has the same rule for transforming the input into the output. How can you put the same input in twice, with the same rule, but get different outputs? You can't. If you could, it wouldn't be a function.

Likes Gurasees
Gurasees said:
Why a function can't have same x coordinates in a set of ordered pairs or in other words, in a function why an element of X can't have more than one image in Y? I know it's the definition, but i want to know the reason behind it.
In a simpler way of thinking:
Reversibility without complications

A function is also called a map. Intuitively, think of what a map does. It takes you from one place to another place. So if your map is f and you start at x, then f takes x to f(x). However, if f takes you to multiple locations (that is, if f takes x to more than one value) then it isn't a very good map. It causes confusion.

Likes Gurasees and symbolipoint
Gurasees said:
Starting with a set of ordered pairs, you can have several equal pairs and several pairs with the same X value. But - then you have to describe the ordered pairs in a different way than just saying "Y is a Function of X". The usual way is to define (X, Y) = (fx(t), fy(t)).

Example: The equation for a circle cannot be described in an "y = f(x)" way. But if we set (x, y) = (cos(t), sin(t)), t∈[0, 2π), we get a full description of a circle (with two values of y for each value of x).

Another example: Let (x, y) = (t⋅cos(t), t.sin(t)), t∈[0, →). You get:
upload_2015-6-13_21-35-25.png

Likes Gurasees

1. Why does a function have unique x-coordinates?

A function has unique x-coordinates because of the mathematical concept of a one-to-one relationship. This means that for every input (x-coordinate), there is only one output (y-coordinate). If there were two different y-coordinates for the same x-coordinate, it would violate this one-to-one relationship and would not be considered a function.

2. What does it mean for a function to have unique x-coordinates?

When a function has unique x-coordinates, it means that each input (x-coordinate) has a corresponding and unique output (y-coordinate). This is important because it allows us to accurately represent and analyze relationships between variables.

3. How can I determine if a function has unique x-coordinates?

To determine if a function has unique x-coordinates, you can graph the function and see if any two points on the graph have the same x-coordinate but different y-coordinates. Another way is to use the vertical line test - if a vertical line passes through the graph at more than one point, then the function does not have unique x-coordinates.

4. Can a function have unique x-coordinates but not unique y-coordinates?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have unique x-coordinates but not unique y-coordinates. This would mean that there are multiple inputs (x-coordinates) that result in the same output (y-coordinate). This does not violate the one-to-one relationship and the function is still considered to have unique x-coordinates.

5. Why is it important for a function to have unique x-coordinates?

Having unique x-coordinates in a function allows us to accurately analyze and predict relationships between variables. It also ensures that each input has a unique output, which is necessary for many real-world applications such as creating mathematical models or solving equations.