About light interacting with matter

In summary, it is possible to predict the color of a solid object based on its molecular formula. If you can detail how the molecule/molecular formula will absorb/retransmit incoming photons, you can predict the color of the solid object. However, the color of the solid object is influenced by neighboring molecules, and it is difficult to predict the color of the solid object based on its molecular formula.
snoopies622
Is it possible to predict the color of a solid object based on its molecular formula?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
It is, if you can detail how the molecule/molecular formula will absorb/retransmit incoming photons.

Al

But what about the influence of neighboring molecules - don't they also affect the energy levels of a given electron? It seems so complicated. How does one even begin?

snoopies622 said:
But what about the influence of neighboring molecules - don't they also affect the energy levels of a given electron? It seems so complicated. How does one even begin?

Exactly. It is very difficult. As far as i know, our knowledge of said phenomenon at this point is more analytic than synthetic (i.e. our models, if present arent very good and an experiment would have to be conducted to see what actually happened).

Hmm.. I've always wondered about this question. Why is this red book red? this purple shirt purple? etc.

At the end of the first chapter of A Brief History of Time, Stephen Hawking says,

"...the partial theories that we already have are sufficient to make accurate predictions in all but the most extreme situations,"

so I've assumed that there's a way - at least in principle - to say, the formulae for the kind of molecules the make up this paint are so-and-so, therefore the paint is green. But I've never looked into the matter far enough to get anywhere. I know how it works with gases where the molecules are practically isolated from one another and the electron energy levels are discrete, but with solids I've never had a clear idea.

snoopies622 said:
I know how it works with gases where the molecules are practically isolated from one another and the electron energy levels are discrete, but with solids I've never had a clear idea.

Well, if you have an atom with two states, and add another atom with two states (and they interact), you end up with four states (you can view it as a combination of a1+b1, a1+b2, a2+b1, a2+b2). Add more atoms and you get even more states, eventually forming continuous bands of energy levels.

It's the same thing, just "smeared out" more. Although in practice they're different fields (solid state physics vs quantum chemistry, typically).

So when the pair jumps from state a1+b2 to a1+b1, the photon that's emitted is different from the one that would be released if the b molecule were alone and went from b2 to b1?

And state a1+b2 doesn't have the same energy as state a2+b1?

Hello? Should I have asked this question in the "Atomic, Solid State, Comp. Physics" section instead?

1. How does light interact with matter?

Light interacts with matter through several processes such as absorption, reflection, and scattering. When light comes in contact with matter, its energy can be transferred to the particles of the matter, causing them to vibrate and emit light. This results in the absorption of light. Reflection occurs when light bounces off a surface, and scattering happens when light is deflected in different directions due to interaction with particles in the matter.

2. What is the difference between transparent, translucent, and opaque materials in terms of light interaction?

Transparent materials allow almost all light to pass through them without any changes in direction or intensity. Translucent materials transmit light but also scatter it, making objects appear blurry. Opaque materials do not allow light to pass through them, and it is either absorbed or reflected.

3. How does the color of an object affect the way it interacts with light?

The color of an object is determined by the wavelengths of light that it reflects or absorbs. For example, a red object appears red because it absorbs all colors of light except for red, which it reflects. This interaction between light and matter is what gives objects their color.

4. Can light interact with matter in a vacuum?

Yes, light can interact with matter in a vacuum. However, the type of interaction depends on the type of matter present in the vacuum. For example, in outer space, light interacts with gas and dust particles, which can cause it to scatter or be absorbed.

5. How does the intensity of light affect its interaction with matter?

The intensity of light, which is the amount of light energy per unit area, can affect how light interacts with matter. Higher intensity light can cause more energy to be transferred to the particles of matter, resulting in stronger interactions such as absorption or emission of light. In some cases, high-intensity light can even cause matter to change its physical state, such as melting or evaporating.