Understanding Minimal Surfaces: Laplace Pressure of a Capillary Bridge

• Thread starter lionelwang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surface
In summary, there is pressure inside the liquid bridge due to the zero mean curvature of the catenoid shape.
lionelwang
Hi all,

I am thinking that, A surface is a minimal surface if and only if the mean curvature is zero. then, for a liquid bridge with a catenoid shape, there should be no Laplace pressure due to the zero mean curvature.

But it is a capillary bridge with concave meniscus, how can it have no Laplace pressure?

Any smart guy tell me what is wrong with my understanding on this? Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
the way you asked your question greatly narrows the range of available answerers.

mathwonk said:
the way you asked your question greatly narrows the range of available answerers.

Yes, I did not reveal the problem in a perfect way. Thanks for your valuable advice.

I know very little of applied math and have no idea what you mean by Laplace pressure, but there may be some confusion in minimal surface. A catenoid is a 2-dim surface, whereas a liquid bridge is a 3-dim solid (if I understand you correctly).

There is a very big difference geometrically in minimizing surface area vs minimizing volume (soap films vs. soap bubbles/clusters).

Just thinking about pressure physically, it doesn't make sense to talk about the pressure inside or outside the catenoid, because a catenoid is an unbounded surface. More explicitly, a catenoid doesn't bound a finite interior, and so pressure doesn't make sense. On the other hand, when I guess at a picture for a water bridge, I think of the catenoid-like solid that my be produced by placing my finger on a water droplet (is this correct?). It is my guess that the relevant physics involved is to minimize surface tension (other forces being negligible), which may or may not minimize surface area (take for example that energy minimization problems in crystals lead to the familiar crystalline shape). I don't see a priori why minimization of surface tension has anything to do with pressure.

Thanks for your time on this!
I actually prepared the liquid bridge between two substrates, and its shape is much like the catenoid shape, but I can feel that there is Laplace pressure inside the liquid bridge, For a real catenoid liquid ,there should be no Laplace pressure.
So this bother me a lot.

lionelwang said:
I can feel that there is Laplace pressure inside the liquid bridge

what do you mean? did you measure it?

So I don't know what half those terms mean, but a surface cannot simultaneously be concave and have mean curvature zero. Catenoids, in particular, are not concave. But perhaps I have misunderstood the question because I don't know about liquid bridges or meniscuses.

1. What is a minimal surface?

A minimal surface is a surface that has the smallest possible area for a given boundary. In other words, it is a surface that minimizes energy and is in a state of stable equilibrium.

2. What is the Laplace pressure of a capillary bridge?

The Laplace pressure of a capillary bridge is the pressure difference between the two sides of the bridge, caused by surface tension. It is directly proportional to the surface tension and inversely proportional to the radius of the bridge.

3. How is the Laplace pressure of a capillary bridge related to minimal surfaces?

The Laplace pressure of a capillary bridge is a key component in understanding the behavior and stability of minimal surfaces. It is used in the mathematical equations that describe the shape and energy of a minimal surface, as the surface strives to minimize the Laplace pressure to achieve equilibrium.

4. What are some real-world applications of understanding minimal surfaces and the Laplace pressure of a capillary bridge?

Some real-world applications include the formation of soap bubbles, the shape of liquid droplets on a surface, and the behavior of bubbles in a carbonated drink. Understanding minimal surfaces and the Laplace pressure can also be useful in microfluidics, where tiny channels and droplets are used for various scientific and technological purposes.

5. How is the Laplace pressure of a capillary bridge experimentally measured?

The Laplace pressure of a capillary bridge can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as optical methods, micropipette aspiration, and surface force apparatus. These methods measure the deformation of the bridge under different surface tension and pressure conditions, allowing for the calculation of the Laplace pressure.