About polar vectors and pseudo vectors

In summary, polar vectors possess inherent direction and remain unchanged regardless of the chosen coordinate system. Reversing the components of a polar vector results in a different vector, while the components of a pseudovector do not change in this case. The cross product of two vectors produces a pseudovector, and torque is defined as a cross product and is therefore a pseudovector. The curl of a proper vector field is also a pseudovector field. The term "vector" usually refers to polar vectors. It is unnecessary to make a distinction between axial and polar vectors, as an "axial vector" is simply a bivector disguised as a vector. Pseudo vectors can be better understood when using the wedge product and another operator in spaces
manjuvenamma
"Polar vector or real vector is a vector which possesses direction inherently (eg. displacement), the direction of polar vector remains unchanged irrespective of the coordinate system chosen. If the components of a polar vector are reversed, the vector obtained is different from the original vector. Components of polar vector change sign when the coordinate system is inverted but components of pseudo vector does not change in such a case.

Psedo vector remains unchanged even if its components are reversed (eg. angular velocity)

Are the above statements I read about pseudo vector correct in general? Angular velocity vector remains unchanged even if its components are reversed? I am unclear about this, could some one kindly elaborate?

Science news on Phys.org
You have to be more careful to distinguish between the components of a vector (with respect to a coordinate system) and the vector itself. If x, y, and z of a coordinate system are changed into -x, -y, -z, the components of a polar vector will change into their negatives, which will keep the vector unchanged. The components of a pseudovector, will not change, which means that the pseudovector will now point in the opposite direction.

Is torque T a polar vector or a pseudo vector?

manjuvenamma said:
Is torque T a polar vector or a pseudo vector?
In general, the cross product of two vectors produces a pseudovector. A torque is defined as a cross product and therefore is a pseudovector.

Don't want to split hairs, but since the word vectors cover both polar(or proper or true) and pseudo, "the cross product of two polar vectors produces a pseudo vector".

Also, the curl of a proper vector field is a pseudo-vector field.

Shooting Star said:
Don't want to split hairs, but since the word vectors cover both polar(or proper or true) and pseudo, "the cross product of two polar vectors produces a pseudo vector".

Also, the curl of a proper vector field is a pseudo-vector field.
The cross product of two psuedo vectors also produces a pseudo vector.
The word vector, with no adjective, usually denotes polar vector.

pam said:
The cross product of two psuedo vectors also produces a pseudo vector.

Yes. I forgot to mention that. Thanks for reminding.

This made me remember that the cross product of a polar vector and a pseudo vector is also a polar vector. I mean, of course we all know it, but don't think about it separately, but use it in things like F = q(vXB), v = ΩXR etc. Thinking about these things, I ran into a sort of a puzzle, which took me some time to figure out. I thought I must share it.

Suppose B and C are pseudo vectors. If A is a polar vector, then,

AX(BXC) = (A.C)B - (A.B)C.

The LHS is a polar vector, but the RHS is a linear combination of a two pseudo vectors.

As we did not own a car, my mother was fond of referring to her
wash machine as our "pseudo-automobile" because it was not a car
but had four wheels. My baby brother grew up speaking in this way
and became a Great Physicist, since he grasped the notion of
pseudovector at once: it is not a vector but has three components.
The rest of us were damned to lifelong
confusion about axial and polar vectors.

But there is Good News: forget about axial and polar vectors!
You don't need them! Here a quote:

"Books on vector algebra commonly make a distinction between polar vectors
and axial vectors, with a x b identified as an axial vector if a
and b are polar vectors. This confusing practice of admitting two kinds of
vectors is wholly unnecessary. An "axial vector" is nothing more than a
bivector disguised as a vector. So with bivectors at our disposal, we can do
without axial vectors. As we have defined it, the quantity a x b is a
vector in exactly the same sense that a and b are vectors."

from David Hestenes "New Foundations for Classical Mechanics"
(second edition) p. 61

A somewhat longer essay on this topic is found in the attachment.

Attachments

• axial.pdf
    53.5 KB · Views: 863
Some sense can be made of pseudo vectors when they are replaced with the wedge product and another operator, which is valid aswell, in spaces other than three dimensions, whereas the cross product is unique to three.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedge_product" .

Accepting an equation like this:
[tex]\nabla \times B - \mu \epsilon (dE/dt) = \mu J[/tex]
requires a leap of faith, that I'd forgotten I'd taken along with many others. One is required to accept that each term in this equation represents a vector in the three spatial dimensions. Fortunately all the hard work has been done a long time ago in recasting these sort of equations in a logical form.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shooting Star said:
Yes. I forgot to mention that. Thanks for reminding.

This made me remember that the cross product of a polar vector and a pseudo vector is also a polar vector. I mean, of course we all know it, but don't think about it separately, but use it in things like F = q(vXB), v = ΩXR etc. Thinking about these things, I ran into a sort of a puzzle, which took me some time to figure out. I thought I must share it.

Suppose B and C are pseudo vectors. If A is a polar vector, then,

AX(BXC) = (A.C)B - (A.B)C.

The LHS is a polar vector, but the RHS is a linear combination of a two pseudo vectors.

I think the coefficient, A.C, is a pseudoscalar... so (A.C)B is actually a polar vector. Similarly for the other vector.

force and R are vector(polar vector),so their vector product is pseudo vector.

if u exert a force on something from right to left in front of a mirror,the force will exert from left to right on the image of that.

have a good time:smile:

1. What is the difference between polar and pseudo vectors?

Polar vectors have both magnitude and direction, while pseudo vectors only have magnitude and do not follow the right-hand rule. This means that polar vectors are affected by rotations and reflections, while pseudo vectors are not.

2. How are polar and pseudo vectors used in physics?

Polar vectors are commonly used to represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, and displacement, while pseudo vectors are used to represent quantities like torque and angular momentum. They are also used in vector calculus to solve problems in mechanics, electromagnetism, and other areas of physics.

3. Can polar vectors and pseudo vectors be added together?

No, polar vectors and pseudo vectors cannot be added together. This is because they have different properties and follow different rules. For example, polar vectors follow the parallelogram law of vector addition, while pseudo vectors follow the head-to-tail rule.

4. What are some examples of polar vectors and pseudo vectors?

Some examples of polar vectors include displacement, velocity, and electric field. Examples of pseudo vectors include angular velocity, magnetic field, and cross product of two polar vectors.

5. How can we identify if a vector is polar or pseudo?

One way to identify a vector as polar or pseudo is by looking at its properties. If a vector is affected by rotations and reflections, it is likely a polar vector. If a vector does not follow the right-hand rule, it is likely a pseudo vector. Another way is to look at the context in which the vector is being used. For example, in physics, quantities like force and displacement are typically represented by polar vectors, while quantities like torque and angular momentum are represented by pseudo vectors.