Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About pythia

1. Sep 21, 2010 #1
    Hi,
    I'm Chen.

Recently I was trying to study the neutrino interaction with electron.

Question:

can Pythia generate the event of ( e , neutrino ->...) ?

if so, please help me for input program.

thanks

Chen

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2010 #2

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is Pythia exactly?

4. Sep 21, 2010 #3
    it is an event generator
    written by Cern using montecarlo method

5. Sep 21, 2010 #4
    Well, I was going to say that the majority of its main authors are at Fermilab, but checking I see that only two of five are at Fermilab, and there is even one at CERN (the other two are at Lund).
    http://home.thep.lu.se/~torbjorn/Pythia.html

That page says,
    PYTHIA and its ilk are concerned with e+e- and hadronic colliders, which do not involve neutrinos in the initial state, so I don't think you're going to have much luck. You may be able to find more directly relevant software listed here, but I would try starting with MadGraph, myself.

6. Sep 22, 2010 #5
    In my experience, Pythia can generally do absolutely anything other than whatever the specific thing you want it to do is...

Seriously though, MadGraph and CalcHEP are probably your best bets (provided you don't need to go beyond leading order). If you want Standard Model results, MadGraph is probably the better choice; but, if you need to build your own models, CalcHEP is often simpler.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook