Work, Energy & Friction: How Do They Fit?

In summary: So the energy from gravity is always stored as potential energy, whereas the energy from friction is used to do work.
c77793
I've always seen Work as an extra mechanic energy given to the system... but i really can't figure it out :

If we lift a 2kg ball, that's steady, using g as 10m/s², with 25N, we'll have a 5N up resultant force...

after its 5meters up, the resultant work will be 25J (5N.5m), but the potential energy by itself will be 100J (20kgx10m/s²x5m) and the kinetic energy will be 25J (i found it using the F=ma to discover de aceleration and then using torricelli's formula..)..

How can I give 25J to a system and it become 125J?

If the same ball were dragged along the floor, with 25N, and a friction force of 20N , after 5 meters, the resultant work would be 25J, the same as the extra mechanic energy ... can someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
you still used 25N to lift, so the work done by you would be:

25 N*5 m = 125 J

From that 125 J of work, 100 was stored as potential energy, the other 25 is being used as kinetic energy (since the object is still moving).

If you are dragging a ball against friction, you are doing work against the friction, so the work is 45 N * 5 m = 225 J.

I don't know what "extra mechanical energy" means.

But shouldn't I use the Resultant force?

as if it were horizontally and the Gravity force were the friction force?

well, the friction will do a work of -100J (once its againts the movement) and the force will do a 125 work... the work will be 25, as if it were a 5N force only... I learned that way, is it wrong?

c77793 said:
But shouldn't I use the Resultant force?

as if it were horizontally and the Gravity force were the friction force?

It depends on the exact question. If you're asking how much work you do to pull it along the ground then you are doing work against friction, so that must be added.

c77793 said:
well, the friction will do a work of -100J (once its againts the movement) and the force will do a 125 work... the work will be 25, as if it were a 5N force only... I learned that way, is it wrong?

Well no, the wording you've used here makes it right. You specified which force did how much work and used the qualifier "as if". So your statements here are correct.

I think I got it... when it comes to friction, the energy becomes heat, so we just cut it off the equation to calculate the Mechanical Energy...

but when it comes to Gravity force, the energy becomes potential energy, so we add it to the equation... is it right?

c77793 said:
I think I got it... when it comes to friction, the energy becomes heat, so we just cut it off the equation to calculate the Mechanical Energy...

but when it comes to Gravity force, the energy becomes potential energy, so we add it to the equation... is it right?

Yes, that's true. Gravity is a conservative force, friction is not.

1. What is work and how is it related to energy?

Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. It is related to energy through the work-energy theorem, which states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

2. How does friction affect work and energy?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. This means that it requires work to overcome friction and move an object. As a result, some of the energy put into a system to do work will be lost to friction, usually in the form of heat.

3. Can friction be beneficial in certain situations?

Yes, friction can be beneficial in some situations. For example, friction is necessary for the operation of brakes in a car, as it helps to slow the car down. In other cases, friction can also be used to generate electricity, such as in a generator.

4. How does the type of surface affect friction?

The type of surface can greatly affect the amount of friction present. Rough surfaces tend to have more friction than smooth surfaces, as there are more points of contact between the two surfaces. Additionally, the type of material also plays a role, as some materials have a higher coefficient of friction than others.

5. How can the effects of friction be reduced?

The effects of friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. Lubricants help to reduce the amount of friction between surfaces, making it easier for them to slide past each other. Additionally, decreasing the force applied or increasing the surface area of contact can also reduce friction.