Absolute Max Min Problem on Region Bounded by x = \sqrt{1-y^2}, y=x, and y=0

In summary, the function f(x,y) = x^2 + 2xy - y^2 has an absolute maximum of 2 and an absolute minimum of -2 on the region bounded by x = \sqrt{1-y^2}, y=x and y=0. To find the critical points on the edge C3, parametrize the unit circle using x=cos(t), y=sin(t) and plug it into the function. This will give the equation p(t) = cos(2t) + sin(2t). Find the derivative of p(t) and set it equal to 0 to find the critical point. Solve for t to find the value of t that corresponds to the critical point. Then, plug
jegues

Homework Statement

Find the absolute maximum and the absolute minimum of the function,

[tex]f(x,y) = x^2 + 2xy - y^2[/tex]

on the region bounded by, [tex]x = \sqrt{1-y^2},y=x \text{ and } y=0[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See figure attached for my attempt.

Everything seems to be going fine until I get to the point where I have to find critical points on the edge of C3.

I can't think of what I should be substituting into the function. I tried,

[tex]y^{2} = 1 - x^{2}[/tex]

but I still end up with nasty square roots in my new function.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• AMQ3.jpg
    AMQ3.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 450
  • AMQ3-2.jpg
    AMQ3-2.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 446
Physics news on Phys.org
Use Lagrange Multipliers on the boundaries.

Lagrange Multipliers were not covered in my course. My professor recommended I use trig functions for the edge C3 but I'm still not seeing it.

Can someone nudge me in the right direction?

jegues said:
Lagrange Multipliers were not covered in my course. My professor recommended I use trig functions for the edge C3 but I'm still not seeing it.

Can someone nudge me in the right direction?

You can parametrize the unit circle using x=cos(t), y=sin(t).

Dick said:
You can parametrize the unit circle using x=cos(t), y=sin(t).

Okay so,

[tex]x = cos(t), y=sin(t) \text{ then,}[/tex]

[tex]p(t) = cos(2t) + sin(2t)
[/tex]

[tex]\text{So,}[/tex]

[tex]
p'(t) = -2sin(2t) + 2cos(2t) = 0
[/tex]

From here we obtain,

[tex]t = \frac{tan^{-1}(\frac{1}{2})}{2}[/tex]

I'm stuck again now.

How do I go from here? I need to get the actual value of this so I can see how big it is in order to classify it.

EDIT: Since,

[tex]tan(2t) = 1/2[/tex]

I can draw a equilateral triangle and get the values for

[tex]cos(2t),sin(2t)[/tex]

and plug them into p(t)

giving me [tex]\frac{3}{\sqrt{5}}[/tex] as a critical point on the edge of C3.

Is this correct?

I can also consider the endpoints of C3, i.e.

[tex]p(0) = 2, p(\frac{\pi}{2}) = -2[/tex]

Can I conclude that absolute max/min's in the region R are z=2 and z= -2?

Last edited:
jegues said:
Okay so,

[tex]x = cos(t), y=sin(t) \text{ then,}[/tex]

[tex]p(t) = cos(2t) + sin(2t)
[/tex]

[tex]\text{So,}[/tex]

[tex]
p'(t) = -2sin(2t) + 2cos(2t) = 0
[/tex]

From here we obtain,

[tex]t = \frac{tan^{-1}(\frac{1}{2})}{2}[/tex]

I'm stuck again now.

How do I go from here? I need to get the actual value of this so I can see how big it is in order to classify it.

EDIT: Since,

[tex]tan(2t) = 1/2[/tex]

I can draw a equilateral triangle and get the values for

[tex]cos(2t),sin(2t)[/tex]

and plug them into p(t)

giving me [tex]\frac{3}{\sqrt{5}}[/tex] as a critical point on the edge of C3.

Is this correct?

I can also consider the endpoints of C3, i.e.

[tex]p(0) = 2, p(\frac{\pi}{2}) = -2[/tex]

Can I conclude that absolute max/min's in the region R are z=2 and z= -2?

I get tan(2t)=1 for a critical point. And the endpoints of t for C3 are t=0 and t=pi/4, aren't they? That makes p(0)=1 and p(pi/4)=(-1), which it should be if you look at C1 and C2. You've got the right ideas, but you are scrambling some stuff up.

Dick said:
I get tan(2t)=1 for a critical point. And the endpoints of t for C3 are t=0 and t=pi/4, aren't they? That makes p(0)=1 and p(pi/4)=(-1), which it should be if you look at C1 and C2. You've got the right ideas, but you are scrambling some stuff up.

Thanks for helping me clear things up Dick.

Due to all my little mistakes I decided to redo the entire problem from the start again.

Here are my results/work. (See figure attached)

Do things look better this time?

EDIT: ***NOTE***: The conclusion I made at the bottom of the first page should really be at the bottom of the second page.

Attachments

• AMMREDO1.jpg
    AMMREDO1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 420
  • AMMREDO2.jpg
    AMMREDO2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 447
jegues said:
Thanks for helping me clear things up Dick.

Due to all my little mistakes I decided to redo the entire problem from the start again.

Here are my results/work. (See figure attached)

Do things look better this time?

EDIT: ***NOTE***: The conclusion I made at the bottom of the first page should really be at the bottom of the second page.

Better, but still sloppy errors. Try and at least do a consistancy check between your curves, h(1) should be equal to p(0) and g(1) should be equal to p(pi/4), right? (I would also check if 1 is the correct value to substitute into g(x) to get the endpoint). Can you figure out what's causing them to disagree? (One thing to watch out for is if you are trying to find the value of f(a) DON'T substitute a into f'(x), substitute it into f(x)!).

Dick said:
Better, but still sloppy errors. Try and at least do a consistancy check between your curves, h(1) should be equal to p(0) and g(1) should be equal to p(pi/4), right? (I would also check if 1 is the correct value to substitute into g(x) to get the endpoint). Can you figure out what's causing them to disagree? (One thing to watch out for is if you are trying to find the value of f(a) DON'T substitute a into f'(x), substitute it into f(x)!).

Okay I can see now that something is wrong since my end points on each curve are not in agreement so I'm going to try to work things out piece by piece.

First,

I would also check if 1 is the correct value to substitute into g(x) to get the endpoint

Okay so,

[tex]g(x) = 2x^{2}[/tex]

Since g(x) is always positive in the region R, g reaches at maximum at the maximum value of x in R on C1.

This x value should be at, [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] not 1.

So, [tex]g(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}) = \framebox{1}[/tex]

One thing to watch out for is if you are trying to find the value of f(a) DON'T substitute a into f'(x), substitute it into f(x)

Whoops! I see what I did wrong now,

[tex]p(0) = \framebox{1},p(\frac{\pi}{4}) = \framebox{1}[/tex]

Things are looking better now I hope.

jegues said:
Okay I can see now that something is wrong since my end points on each curve are not in agreement so I'm going to try to work things out piece by piece.

First,

Okay so,

[tex]g(x) = 2x^{2}[/tex]

Since g(x) is always positive in the region R, g reaches at maximum at the maximum value of x in R on C1.

This x value should be at, [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] not 1.

So, [tex]g(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}) = \framebox{1}[/tex]

Whoops! I see what I did wrong now,

[tex]p(0) = \framebox{1},p(\frac{\pi}{4}) = \framebox{1}[/tex]

Things are looking better now I hope.

Much better. I think all that's left is stating the conclusion about absolute max and min.

Dick said:
Much better. I think all that's left is stating the conclusion about absolute max and min.

The absolute max should be when z=2 and absolute min when z=0.

Is it necessary to state the x and y values as well when making this conclusion?

Last edited:
jegues said:
The absolute max should be when z=2 and absolute min when z=0.

Is it necessary to state the x and y values as well when making this conclusion?

I would definitely do that since I don't see any (x,y) point where f(x,y)=2 on C1, C2 or C3. Do you? Now I think you are forgetting you changed your mind about some earlier answers you gave. That's kind of annoying. Are you just looking at this stuff once a day and forgetting everything that came before?

Dick said:
I would definitely do that since I don't see any (x,y) point where f(x,y)=2 on C1, C2 or C3. Do you? Now I think you are forgetting you changed your mind about some earlier answers you gave. That's kind of annoying. Are you just looking at this stuff once a day and forgetting everything that came before?

Whoops! I guess looking at work that is incorrect isn't a good idea.

That max should be when f(x,y) = 1.

jegues said:
Whoops! I guess looking at work that is incorrect isn't a good idea.

That max should be when f(x,y) = 1.

Didn't you once upon a time find an (x,y) point where f(x,y)=sqrt(2)? I really recall that pretty distinctly. Uh, yes, discard old work. Or at least correct it. Sheesh. I think you deleted it from the problem thread. Wasn't it along C3 where tan(2*t)=1? You know, sloppiness is your enemy much more than actually having problems with knowing how to solve these things. Ok, it's still in the blurry thumbnail in post 7.

Related to Absolute Max Min Problem on Region Bounded by x = \sqrt{1-y^2}, y=x, and y=0

1. What is an absolute max min problem?

An absolute max min problem is a type of optimization problem in mathematics where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum value of a function over a given interval. It is also known as an extreme value problem.

2. How do you find the absolute max min of a function?

To find the absolute max min of a function, you need to first find the critical points by taking the derivative of the function and setting it equal to zero. Then, evaluate the function at each critical point and the endpoints of the interval to determine the maximum and minimum values.

3. What is the difference between absolute max and absolute min?

The absolute max is the largest value that a function reaches over a given interval, while the absolute min is the smallest value that a function reaches over the same interval. In other words, the absolute max is the highest point on the graph and the absolute min is the lowest point on the graph.

4. Can a function have multiple absolute max or min values?

Yes, a function can have multiple absolute max or min values if the function is constant over the given interval or if it has multiple critical points with the same maximum or minimum value.

5. What is the significance of absolute max min problems in real life?

Absolute max min problems have many practical applications in fields such as economics, engineering, and physics. For example, in economics, absolute max min problems can be used to determine the maximum profit or minimum cost for a business. In engineering, they can be used to optimize the design of a structure for maximum strength or minimum material usage.