1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract algebra. proving things about U(n)

1. Feb 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

prove that if g is in Z*_n then g^2=1, so g has order 2 or is the identity.
    show that the largest value of n for which every non identity element of Z*_n has order 2. which are these others.

2. Relevant equations
    Z*_n = U(n) different notation it is the the group of co primes to n less than n.
    For example: Z*_10 =U(10)={1,3,7,9}, with 3x7=1; 7x7=9 etc.

3. The attempt at a solution

ok the problem as 3 parts.
    1) Show that for every element g in U(24), g^2 = 1.
    This is easy to check by direct computation. e.g. 5x5=1, 11x11=1 etc.

2) Find all m < 24, such that every g in U(m)has the property g^2=1(mod m).
    My hunch is: we must have m = 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12
    I have to show that the above statement is correct and then also
    establish that for other m <24
    (i.e m=5, 7, 9, 10,...,23) there is some g in U(m) for which
    g^2 is *NOT* equal to 1(mod m). I need help with this part.

3) The third part is to show that:
    for all m > 24, there is a g in U(m) such that
    g^2 is *NOT* equal to 1(mod m).
    dont' know how to do this part either. but i think getting part 2 will help with this part.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2010 #2
    just bumping this hoping to get more views. I am still stuck and not sure how to proceed.

4. Feb 14, 2010 #3
    ok so I have noticed that the only numbers that posses this property are number where U(n) is a set of only primes. for example U(9) includes 4. and 2^2 is not 1 mod 9. but the numbers 12,8,6,4,2 all have the property that their U(n) ring contains only prime numbers and thus they posses the desired property. but I don't know how to prove this.

also I need to show that the U(n) for any number greater than 24 always contains a non prime number. i feel like i can do this, but the fact that all the elements in U(n) must be prime is what still needs to be proven.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook