Proving Greatest Common Divisor of a,b,c | Abstract Algebra 1

In summary: Keep practicing and you'll get it in no time!In summary, the problem states that we need to prove that the greatest number dividing all three of a, b, and c is gcd(d_{1},c), where d_{1} = gcd(b,c) = 1. Through logical reasoning, we can show that d_{1} is a divisor of both gcd(a,b,c) and gcd(d_{1},c), making it the greatest number that divides all three of a, b, and c.
silvermane
Gold Member
1. The problem statement:
Consider 3 positive integers, a, b, c. Let [tex]d_{1}[/tex] = gcd(b,c) = 1. Prove that the greatest number dividing all three of a, b, c is gcd([tex]d_{1}[/tex],c)

3. My go at the proof and thoughts:

Well, I know that the common divisors of a and b are precisely the divisors of [tex]d_{1}[/tex]

I also know that to get the gcd(a,b,c) we need to consider a,b's gcd with c to get the overall gcd for all three numbers.

I think that I need to write it as a linear combination for a,b, and c, but I'm stuck. This problem seems easy too, but I think there's something that I'm missing. :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I can understand your frustration with this problem. However, let me assure you that it is indeed a simple proof that just requires a bit of logical thinking. I'll walk you through the steps and hopefully, it will make more sense to you.

First, let's restate the problem: we have three positive integers, a, b, and c, where d_{1} = gcd(b,c) = 1. Our goal is to prove that the greatest number dividing all three of a, b, and c is gcd(d_{1},c).

To start off, let's consider the definition of gcd: it is the largest positive integer that divides all given numbers. So, if we can show that the greatest number dividing a, b, and c is also a divisor of d_{1} and c, then we have proven our statement.

Now, we know that d_{1} = gcd(b,c) = 1, which means that there are no common divisors between b and c besides 1. This also means that d_{1} does not have any factors other than 1, making it the greatest number dividing both b and c. So, we can say that d_{1} is a divisor of both b and c.

Next, let's consider a, b, and c. We know that d_{1} is a divisor of b and c, so it is also a divisor of their greatest common divisor, which is gcd(a,b,c). This means that d_{1} is a divisor of gcd(a,b,c).

Now, let's look at c. Since d_{1} is a divisor of c, we know that it is also a divisor of gcd(d_{1},c). This is because gcd(d_{1},c) is the largest number that divides both d_{1} and c, and since d_{1} is a divisor of c, it must also divide gcd(d_{1},c).

Therefore, we have shown that d_{1} is a divisor of both gcd(a,b,c) and gcd(d_{1},c), which means that it must also be a divisor of their greatest common divisor. And since d_{1} is the greatest number that divides both b and c, it must also be the greatest number that divides all three of a, b, and c.

I hope this helps clarify the proof for you. Remember

FAQ: Proving Greatest Common Divisor of a,b,c | Abstract Algebra 1

What is the definition of "greatest common divisor"?

The greatest common divisor (GCD) of three numbers a, b, and c is the largest positive integer that divides all three numbers without leaving a remainder.

Why is proving the GCD of three numbers important in abstract algebra?

In abstract algebra, the GCD is used to find the greatest common factor of polynomials and to simplify expressions in algebraic structures. It is also a fundamental concept in number theory and plays a crucial role in algorithms and cryptography.

What are the different methods for proving the GCD of three numbers?

There are several methods for proving the GCD of three numbers, including the Euclidean algorithm, prime factorization, and the Bezout's identity. Each method has its own advantages and can be used depending on the given numbers and context of the problem.

Can the GCD of three numbers be negative?

No, the GCD is always a positive integer. This is because the GCD represents the largest positive number that divides all three numbers without leaving a remainder.

What are some real-life applications of the GCD of three numbers?

The GCD is used in various real-life situations, such as simplifying fractions, finding the lowest common denominator, and optimizing computer algorithms. It is also used in fields like engineering, physics, and economics to find the most efficient solutions to problems involving multiple quantities.

Back