AC Current in GHz Frequency and Zero Resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of producing a zero resistance current using different methods. The main idea is that resistance in a wire is caused by electrons hitting other atoms as they travel, resulting in energy loss and heat production. It is suggested that by increasing the frequency of an alternating current, the distance traveled by electrons can be reduced, thus decreasing the number of collisions and potentially achieving zero resistance. However, it is noted that this is not necessarily the case, as other factors such as skin effect and thermal motion of electrons also play a role in resistance. The conversation also touches upon the concept of superconductors, where resistance abruptly drops to zero below a certain critical temperature. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexities of resistance and the various
Simcha
Hello Experts,

I am a physics newbie with big ideas. I have a question.
I am thinking about how to produce a zero Resistance Current.
We know we can do this using super-conductors in sub zero temperature, but maybe there's another way.

My assumptions (which could be wrong):
1) Resistance in a wire is caused by electrons traveling and HITTING other atoms as they move from proton to proton. This hitting causes electrons to lose power and transfer energy into heat.

2) Speed of Electrons in a copper wire is about 2.5 x 10-4 m/s (2500000000nm / s)
3) Copper Atomic Spacing 0.256 nm
4) In an alternating current (AC), electrons are pulled back and forth typically at 60hz.

5)
This means:

Time = 1 / Frequency
Time = 1/ 60 hz = 0.166 seconds

Which means every 0.166 seconds, our alternating current switches directions.
Now let's talk distance:

Distance = Speed * Time
Distance = Speed of Electrons in a copper wire (2.5 x 10-4 m/s) * 0.166 seconds
Distance = 2500000000nm/second * 0.166 seconds
Distance = 416666666.666 nanometers

Which means that a typical electron travels 416666666.666 nanometers every time our alternating current switches directions

Now that means that our electron is hitting some protons as it travels. How many?

Given that Copper Atomic Spacing is about 0.256 nm

Number of Atoms Hit = Number of Copper Atoms / Copper Atomic Spacing
Number of Atoms Hit = 416666666.666 nm / 0.256 nm = 162760416.666 copper atoms

That' a lot of atoms to possibly hit.

My Question:
If we increase the frequency of our alternating current - such that an electron only traveled from 1 copper atom to another or at least some number less than 162760416.666 copper atoms. Would this not decrease the number of hits and decrease the resistance in the wire?

Just as an example:

Distance = Speed * Time
0.256nm (distance between 2 atoms) = 2,500,000,000 (Speed of Electrons) * Time
Time = 0.0000000001024 s - that's how long it takes for an atom to move from 1 atom to another

How fast must our alternating current switch directions?
Hertz = 1 / Time
Hertz = 1 / 0.0000000001024 s
Hertz = 9,765,625,000 hertz ~ 10Ghz

So if we had a alternating current at 10Ghz, wouldn't this achieve zero resistance?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Simcha said:
So if we had a alternating current at 10Ghz, wouldn't this achieve zero resistance?
Actually, ac resistance of a conductor is greater than its dc resistance due to "skin effect". Higher frequencies reduce the effective cross-section of the conductor, which increases its resistance.

Likes berkeman
cnh1995 said:
Actually, ac resistance of a conductor is greater than its dc resistance due to "skin effect". Higher frequencies reduce the effective cross-section of the conductor, which increases its resistance.
The resistance increases because all the electrons tend to go to the surface. More electrons in a certain space = more resistance. I get it.

However, since we are only moving 1 atom's length of distance - they would not hit so many copper atoms.
Additionally, since we are only moving 1 atom's length of distance, the skin effect SHOULD be minimized since the electrons have no TIME to go to the surface.

Am I missing something?

Simcha said:
However, since we are only moving 1 atom's length of distance - they would not hit so many copper atoms.
Additionally, since we are only moving 1 atom's length of distance, the skin effect SHOULD be minimized since the electrons have no TIME to go to the surface.
The collisions are inevitable because of the thermal motion of the electrons, which is random in nature.
https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&s...jQATAl&usg=AFQjCNHa2SNZSCP6ojCffetmFmtzmdef_Q

Simcha said:
However, how are the collisions "removed" in a perfect conductor like a super conductor?
Resistance goes on decreasing with reduction in temperature. In case of superconductors, resistance abruptly drops down to zero below a certain critical temperature.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Simcha said:
1) Resistance in a wire is caused by electrons traveling and HITTING other atoms as they move from proton to proton. This hitting causes electrons to lose power and transfer energy into heat.

this is incorrect ... try the other way around ... do some googling on what causes resistance

Simcha said:
Now that means that our electron is hitting some protons as it travels. How many?

this is also incorrect ... the electrons DONT hit the protons

Simcha said:

again this incorrect, see my first comment in this post ... the overall resistance of the conductor doesn't change just because you changed the frequency

reread cnh 1995's post again --- I have hilited the important part

cnh1995 said:

and added to that there are other things that come into play when comparing AC and DC current

Likes cnh1995 and berkeman
Electrons don't 'hit' protons, they latch onto them without making direct contact and orbit around them until they are forced to move to the next atom. Also, the number of nuclei an electron moves between doesn't cause resistance. It could more accurately be seen as the difficulty of getting from one to the next.

gvlr96 said:
Electrons don't 'hit' protons, they latch onto them without making direct contact and orbit around them until they are forced to move to the next atom. Also, the number of nuclei an electron moves between doesn't cause resistance. It could more accurately be seen as the difficulty of getting from one to the next.
This is not correct. I understand you are trying to help, but posting incorrect information is not allowed here.

Likes davenn
berkeman said:
This is not correct. I understand you are trying to help, but posting incorrect information is not allowed here.

my post response deleted

Likes berkeman

What is AC current?

AC current, or alternating current, is a type of electrical current that periodically reverses direction. It is commonly used in household and industrial electrical systems.

What is GHz frequency?

GHz frequency, or gigahertz frequency, refers to the number of oscillations per second in a wave or signal. It is commonly used to measure the frequency of electromagnetic waves, including AC current.

What is zero resistance?

Zero resistance is a term used to describe a material or substance that does not impede the flow of electrical current. This means that no energy is lost as heat as the current passes through the material.

How does AC current in GHz frequency affect electrical devices?

AC current in GHz frequency can affect electrical devices in various ways, depending on the device and its capabilities. For example, some devices may not be designed to handle high frequency AC current and may malfunction or break down.

What are the applications of AC current in GHz frequency and zero resistance?

AC current in GHz frequency and zero resistance have various applications in different fields, including telecommunications, medical equipment, and scientific research. They are also used in the development of advanced electronic devices and technologies.