Changing AC Frequency: Gareth's Power Supply Query

In summary, an electronic oscillator converts AC power into a DC voltage and can be tuned to a specific frequency. There are thousands of different oscillator designs, but the principle is the same. A resonator element is needed, and then an amplifier is needed to amplify the resonator and keep it oscillating.
doctorcox
Hi, I'm technically a biologist so talk slowly!

Can anyone tell me, or point me in the right direction of a resource, that explains how you can change the frequency of an input AC source? e.g. in a "lab-pack" power supply.

Thanks very much,

Gareth

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you be a bit more specific?

Are you talking about a lab signal generator? If so do you want to know how it works or how to operate one? And what is the frequency range of your AC source?

Hi,

Yeah like a lab signal generator or anything similar. I'm just thinking conceptually how it works really. Presumably it must take a mains frequency e.g. 50 Hz, but has the ability to adjust the frequency eitherway (also presumably at the expense of the potential difference). I was just wondering what type of circuitry in a basic sense it uses to do that. Its probably a semi-conductor in modern units, but is there a "classical" way to do it?

Thanks.

Just like any electronic device, take the AC 50/60 Hz power from the wall outlet and converts it to DC voltage.

So now you have a DC voltage converted from wall's AC and now can do the fancy stuff.

There is thousands of different oscillator designs frankly, but the principle is the same.

Need to have a resonator element. That's something that will actually oscillate when excited with an electric current, but will die down really quick.

Then you need an amplifier that will amplify the resonator and feed some of its output back to the resonator in phase, such that the resonator will oscillate indefinitely.

To change the frequency, you would have to adjust the resonator. There is thousands of different resonator concepts out there. The most basic one is an LC tank. Composed of capacitor and inductor. By changing its values the tank will oscillator at different frequencies.

The amplifier is now made of transistors. The "classic" were the vacuum tubes amplifiers, big and expensive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_oscillator

Perfect, exactly what I wanted! Thank you!:smile:

Related to Changing AC Frequency: Gareth's Power Supply Query

What is AC frequency and how does it affect power supply?

AC frequency refers to the rate at which the alternating current cycles between positive and negative values. It is measured in hertz (Hz). The frequency of AC can affect the output of a power supply as it determines the speed at which the current switches direction. This can impact the stability and efficiency of the power supply.

Why would someone want to change the AC frequency of a power supply?

There are a few reasons why someone may want to change the AC frequency of a power supply. One reason is to match the frequency of the power supply to the frequency of the equipment being powered. Another reason is to improve the stability and efficiency of the power supply by selecting a more suitable frequency.

How can AC frequency be changed in a power supply?

The AC frequency of a power supply can be changed by using a device called a frequency converter. This device converts the incoming AC power to the desired frequency. Some power supplies also have built-in frequency converters that allow for easy adjustment of the frequency.

What are the potential risks or complications of changing AC frequency in a power supply?

One potential risk of changing AC frequency in a power supply is that it may not be compatible with the equipment being powered. This can result in damage to the equipment or the power supply. Additionally, changing the AC frequency may also impact the warranty of the power supply.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when changing AC frequency in a power supply?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to consider when changing AC frequency in a power supply. It is important to ensure that the power supply is disconnected from any power source before making any changes. It is also recommended to consult with a professional or refer to the manufacturer's instructions to ensure safe and proper handling of the power supply.