1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AC Generator With Repelling Magnets

1. Aug 2, 2015 #1
    Hi Everyone,

I have 4 scenarios in question . Will The EMF(Voltage) be the same in all of the scenarios?
    - the difference between the two photos are the polls: one repel one attract .
    - i understand that the current(amps) will change due to the wire length assuming same gauge

1) Photo 1: d1 = 1cm, d2=20cm, wire length=240cm, Wire Exposed to field=80cm, each magnet is 1 Tesla(at surface), coil moves at 6meter/second
    2) Photo 1: d1 = 1cm, d2=10cm, wire length=200cm, Wire Exposed to field=80cm, each magnet is 1 Tesla(at surface), coil moves at 6meter/second
    3) Photo 2: d1 = 1cm, d2=20cm, wire length=240cm, Wire Exposed to field=80cm, each magnet is 1 Tesla(at surface), coil moves at 6meter/second
    4) Photo 2: d1 = 1cm, d2=10cm, wire length=200cm, Wire Exposed to field=80cm, each magnet is 1 Tesla(at surface), coil moves at 6meter/second

Photo1:
    D1_2.png

Photo2
    D1_3.png

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Ben, welcome to PF :smile: !

Do you have an expression for the EMF ? The F in EMF stands for force; forces are vectors: they have a magnitude and a direction, so you'll need to think about both of these.

4. Aug 3, 2015 #3
    hi Bvu, yea I'm aware of it . the EMF(V) will be generated in the oppose direction . but still I'm looking for an answer to the above question. and when i ask if the EMF(Voltage) be the same i mean in magnitude

5. Aug 3, 2015 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you have an expression for the magnitude of the EMF ?

6. Aug 3, 2015 #5
    In your drawings #1, no current is generated in the loops.

7. Aug 3, 2015 #6
    what do you mean ?

8. Aug 3, 2015 #7
    Please explain why you think that ?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2015
  9. Aug 3, 2015 #8
    Use the right hand rule on the horizontal top section of a loop, and again, on the bottom section. The EMF of one section opposes the other. Symmetry says they are equal and opposite.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2015
  10. Aug 3, 2015 #9
    then how is it any difference from this ? acp14a.gif

11. Aug 3, 2015 #10

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Blue and red move in opposite directions

12. Aug 5, 2015 #11
    So essentially option 1,2 would not work as they are canceling each other and 3,4 would work?

13. Aug 5, 2015 #12
    So essentially option 1,2 would not work as they are canceling each other and 3,4 would work?

14. Aug 16, 2015 #13
    any thoughts ?

15. Aug 16, 2015 #14
    any thoughts ?

16. Aug 16, 2015 #15

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Plenty of thoughts. One of them: the situation isn't all that clear to you yet. What can be done to improve the situation ?

Are you familiar with the Lorentz force on charge carriers ? $$
    \vec F = q\, \left (\vec E + \vec v \times \vec B \right ) $$
    There's a picture (bottom one: motion ##\Rightarrow ## emf) in post #16 in this thread

17. Aug 16, 2015 #16
    all new to me. making sure I am getting it correctly .
    D1_3.png

18. Aug 16, 2015 #17

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In you picture, e.g. at the lower end, you have M pointing to the left.
    M is the magnetic field.
    At the lower "horizontal" section of the wire frame, the magnetic field is pointing up.
    The velocity vector is pointing to the left. So the Lorentz force on the charge carriers in the wire is pointing away from the viewer.

Your turn to try and find the direction of the emf for the upper "horizontal" section of the wire frame :smile: !

19. Aug 16, 2015 #18
    Hold on, when it say magnetic field "right hand rule" little picture I added on top of the drawing. it is referring to the permanent magnet field? and the force is referring to in my case the direction of the coil.

if that is the case then i believe this is the correct drawing .

D1_3.png

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  20. Aug 16, 2015 #19

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One out of three. Still for the bottom "horizontal" section of the wire frame:

The magnetic field thumb is indeed the field from the magnet.
    So yes, the middle finger is up (no pun intended :rolleyes: ).

The current in this situation is the motion of the charge carriers in the frame. The ##q\vec v## in the Lorentz force expression.
    So index finger points to the left.

That leaves the thumb pointing into the screen. Thus representing the direction of the force that these charge carriers "feel". Corresponding to an emf that wants to move these charges.

Your turn to try and find the direction of the emf for the upper "horizontal" section of the wire frame :smile: !

And photo 1, where the emf allegedly oppose each other.

21. Aug 16, 2015 #20
    But, if i look at "fleming's right hand rule" then:
    1) the thumb is pointing to the movement(motion of the coil in my case and we can also call it force)
    2) First finger (also called Index Finger) is the magnetic field (in my case the magnetic field due to the permeant magnet)
    3) second finger (also called middle Finger) is the direction of the current (EMF,V)

no pun was taken

so where am I getting it wrong in photo #2?

eminduction3.png

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook