AC magnetic field and how an electric motor works....

In summary, the magnetic field created by AC does alternate and reverse poles. This is due to sinusoidal alternation, which also looks like a rotating magnetic field. Despite the alternating current, a motor will still rotate in the same direction every time. This can be better understood through visual aids, such as videos on YouTube. Further research and watching the video multiple times may help in fully understanding this concept.
Leyden
does the magnetic field created by AC alternate? reverse poles? if so why does a motor rotate the same way every time? does it alternate in three phase as well?

thanks, if you want to direct me to literature i would appreciate that, what i have in my motors book talks about the hand rule for determining magnetic field based on current flow but the current is alternating? so why does the motor rotate the same direction every time? nothing explains it very well for me on YouTube either

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it does alternate. But sinusoidal alternation also looks like a rotating magnetic field.

This is a case where pictures work better than words. There are a number of videos on Youtube that illustrate the alternating fields. Here's one.

Likes Leyden
awesome, thanks for the video definitely helps me out, although i still don't fully understand. so i will watch it a few more times and keep researching

thanks a bunch

1. What is an AC magnetic field?

An AC magnetic field is a type of electromagnetic field that oscillates in both direction and magnitude. It is created by alternating current (AC) flowing through a conductor and is used in many electrical devices, including electric motors.

2. How does an electric motor work?

An electric motor converts electrical energy into mechanical energy by using the principles of electromagnetism. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field interacts with another magnetic field, causing the wire to rotate and thus creating mechanical energy.

3. What is the role of an AC magnetic field in an electric motor?

The AC magnetic field in an electric motor is responsible for the rotation of the motor. As the AC current flows through the motor's coils, it creates an alternating magnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnets in the motor, causing the motor's rotor to rotate.

4. How is the strength of the AC magnetic field determined in an electric motor?

The strength of the AC magnetic field in an electric motor is determined by the amount of current flowing through the motor's coils. The stronger the current, the stronger the magnetic field and the faster the motor will rotate.

5. What are some common uses for AC magnetic fields and electric motors?

AC magnetic fields and electric motors have a wide range of uses, including powering household appliances, industrial machinery, and transportation systems such as trains and elevators. They are also used in medical equipment, such as MRI machines, and in renewable energy sources, such as wind turbines.